Custom Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bdar

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdar

Yeah I know Eagle it is small but when I get a better computer and photo editing they will grow. Here is where Ron's idea of a Cigerra came from.
Bdar

tn_1%20x%2012.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

twoofakind

Very interesting. The black plastic at the bottom of the sierra is one of the main drawbacks for me. I really like the way the kit flows now. Great job.
Andy

Draken

Actually the black at the bottom is powder coated brass, not plastic. You can get things laser engraved into this area. I had a rose engraved into one for my wife for Valentines day, you can see it in my photo album.

I do like the looks of Bdar's pen, and I too am curious how it was done. I'll need to investigate my sierra kits this weekend.

Cheers,
Draken

JimGo

While I commend you for your effort (it's a neat looking pen and a clever adaptation of a standard kit), I personally prefer the look of the black PC'd metal. The CB winds up in an awkward place relative to the clip with the wood, but the black metal seems to provide a nice balance (visually).

Just my "humble" opinion, and again, not intended to denigrate the cliber of work or the creativity that went into the pen.

bjackman

Darren,
I like it a lot! I'd also like to hear more about your process. I have yet to make a sierra, as I'm not a real fan of the large amount of "non-made-by-me" (wood, acrylic, or whatever) material at the nib end.
Thanks for sharing.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Bdar you Ugly #(&@&Y^$*@()
Because it was you I clicked the thumbnail [:D]
Anytime anyone modifies a set of components so it doesn't look like it came out of a bag from Taiwan I applaud their efforts.
Essentially you made a "longwood" Parker pen similar to ones I have made using the PK mon par kit from Woodturningz.
Since I like components on pen to match in design I don't bother making this kit.
The small single tube doesn't make it much of a challenge and also doesn't show much of the material be it acrylic or wood or a glue up.
I think you added another dimension to an otherwise beginners kit.
I would like it better iuf the components matched.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I took a Sierra apart in August, including the top. My intention is to make a Bloodwood/BOW/Bloodwood and also a Bloodwood/Holly/Bloodwood for some missionary friends. Travel and the need for rest are keeping me from completing this. Some day, Some day!

I am glad to see others doing "outside the box" pen turning.

bdar

Eagle I looked at the cap of the Sierra had a bit of Padauk cut and knowing that I would have to modify it, I stopped, I looked at it and then said stuff it.[}:)] I'll do it another day when I am in the mood. I know some beginners who would not think it as a beginners kit.[;)] It is a good quick kit to turn and good on my table at craft fairs. The nib end will just add a new dimention to it.
Bdar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom