Custom pen kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

Wasn't quite sure where to put this thread.

I am looking to have my own components manufactured. Probably just some simple, stainless steel CNC design, with generic tube/end measurements. I just want it to be unique, and mine.

I don't, however, have an engineering degree or a CNC machine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I would go about doing this?

PS, I would like to have this done in the USA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

I'm in $300 so far for the first 9 I had made, and I'm still not 100% satisfied with the design. What looks great on paper may not look the same in the flesh.

ashaw

Randy
Two sources would be Marksmen Pens and Silver Parts. I would have a clear design done on paper first. It can be rough at first to get a design you would like. Make it more specific with dimensions, casting or milling. You can even go one step further and make a prototype with plastic.
That's how I would start.

Alan

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Casting is pouring molten metal (IN this case) into a cavity mold to achieve the final or close to finished shape. Milling is taking a cutter and cutting the shape from a block or rod or other basic stock material shape. What your asking to do in stainless does not really require cnc although it can do it wonderfully You can mill and turn stainless on hand controlled equipement quite easily for the basic shapes. If you want a flowing design on the cap and centerband etc. Then a cnc mill would probably be best. Milling the centerband and a cap insert(s) would work. Making the finials on a lathe for the inserts to be installed in.

Last edited:

Wildman

Why not hang out at ADVANCED PEN MAKIG THREAD, and just buy basic pen components.

Several years back, someone posted pictures of pen parts manufactured, in mainland China. Guess he visited couple factories over there set up to make parts. Guess no one factory made every part needed to make a pen.

Several years ago had several folks here making artist calligraphy pens, and lively discussions on where to buy best nibs. Would not need any engineering, or CNC machines, simple wood lathe all you need. If make bamboo art/calligraphy pens all need is sharp knives.

calligraphy pens nibs - Google Search

jyreene

I've been looking into it a bit in my spare time but in a different vein. However for your plan the answer has been given. I am currently working with mredburn on a custom cit and a few custom clips and can't wait to see them.

The portion I'm interested in is making them myself either on a metal lathe or casting. Both seem to carry a pretty steep start price and a lot of knowledge I don't have yet. If only there were college classes I could take!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Randy
Two sources would be Marksmen Pens and Silver Parts. I would have a clear design done on paper first. It can be rough at first to get a design you would like. Make it more specific with dimensions, casting or milling. You can even go one step further and make a prototype with plastic.
That's how I would start.

Alan
I think Marksman does not make his own - I believe his design is made by lazerlinez...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Wasn't quite sure where to put this thread.

I am looking to have my own components manufactured. Probably just some simple, stainless steel CNC design, with generic tube/end measurements. I just want it to be unique, and mine.

I don't, however, have an engineering degree or a CNC machine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I would go about doing this?

PS, I would like to have this done in the USA
If you decide to go off shore there are a couple of companies who will duplicate your design...if you can provide a finished product they are not too high but they don't seem to have a machine/job shop that can turn out 20 or 25 for you to look at before a production run.

firewhatfire

lazerlinez and markman are your 2 stainless makers. lazer I think has on his website that you can design and have him manufacture an exclusive designed pen.

If you like to splurge the Silver pen parts is the way to go. He will even do gold if your so inclined.

There's absolutely no reason you can't get pen parts made for you in the US. You just need to think the right way. The jewelry industry is full of folks that are more than capable of designing your components with CAD software and then creating the parts with CNC mills, lathes and such.

As a jeweler, I'd be more than willing to take a look at what you want to accomplish. Send me a PM with your contact info and I will be in touch.

I've spent the better part of the last decade learning and using CAD/CAM to its fullest potential in my business. There is not a project I'd turn down because I didn't think I could make it.

hard hat

marksman and lazerlinez WERE together at one point but are now totally separate compaies. go to the marksman website and they have info on contacting them specifically for custom made kits.
call it what you want but I got my info straight from the horse's mouth

Russianwolf

One more thing to note. The hardest part is finding/making a clip.

Everything else is simple, parts can be cut/turned from any metal or plastic. But clips. Clips need to be springy enough to hold to a pocket repeatedly, flexible enough to allow for different thicknesses of material to be inserted, and hard enough the retain their shape.

marksman

Everything else is simple, parts can be cut/turned from any metal or plastic. But clips. Clips need to be springy enough to hold to a pocket repeatedly, flexible enough to allow for different thicknesses of material to be inserted, and hard enough the retain their shape.

Amen brother!!!

jyreene

So lots of bondo and duct tape.

Last edited:
Top Bottom