Custom pen help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

feeneypens

Hi. I have a friend who bought a PSI "Traditional" Pen from me and while he likes the shape, he doesn't like the refills I get for him. His favorite refill is from an "expensive" Bic that he likes but which doesn't fit in the Traditional Pen Kit. He's sending me the refill now and wants me to make a pen like the Traditional Kit but which will fit the refill. I'm almost 100% positive I'll have to change the nib, and that's about it.
Any suggestions to making my own nibs? Anywhere else to start from?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johncrane

1st see if the refill works ok with the nib! if it doesn't work with the nib you could try to drill out the nib! next if drilling out the nib works ok, but the refill is still too long you could extend the pen body length too suit the refill, just a few ideas too try first. ps i use 2 springs on some refills front and back to hold them in the right place, that's on a R/ball, it's something you have too play with to get it right

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You didn't say which RB refill he has that he doesn't like, but there are several upgrade refills available from several of our IAP vendors available.

feeneypens

johncrane said:
1st see if the refill works ok with the nib! if it doesn't work with the nib you could try to drill out the nib! next if drilling out the nib works ok, but the refill is still too long you could extend the pen body length too suit the refill, just a few ideas too try first. ps i use 2 springs on some refills front and back to hold them in the right place, that's on a R/ball, it's something you have too play with to get it right

Ok. And do I need any special bit or something to do the drilling of the nib?

Whaler

I would say that a pen kit in that price range would come with a Hauser refill at best. I would send him a Schmidt refill to try, all the difference in the world.

TerryDowning

I have the same issue with my wife. She likes the capped pens, but can't stand the feel of roller ball pens. She prefers the feel of ballpoint. (It's the ink and how it flows!!) I'm working on a set of adapters that allow a Parker style refill to work in an RB style capped pen. Very simple really, 1/4 inch dowel with a 1/8" hole drilled then cut to length to keep the pen point from going to far out of the nose cone. 1/4" dowel cut to length at the other end to make up for the shorter length.

Last edited:
Top Bottom