Custom Lignum Vitae

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Twissy

Twissy

Really pleased with the way this one came out.
The inserts are made of ebonite, the finish is Hut PPP. Fitted with a JoWo #12.
The barrel was made a couple of days ago with the cap finished today, and you can see how the colour changes just over a short space of time. Hopefully by the time the customer receives it they will have balanced out!!!
C&C's welcome.
IMG_1090.JPGIMG_1091.JPGIMG_1092.JPGIMG_1093.JPGIMG_1094.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

propencity

Beautiful pen John. I'm a big fan on these clean straight line customs. I'm curious on whether you tap/die the threads on the inserts after or before being epoxied to the wood?

MarkD

Beautiful job! I love the nice clean lines. The Ebonite provides just enough accent.

Twissy

Beautiful pen John. I'm a big fan on these clean straight line customs. I'm curious on whether you tap/die the threads on the inserts after or before being epoxied to the wood?

Thanks Mark. This is the first one where I have done the drilling/threading after epoxying in the inserts. On the last one i did all the threading etc first but must have drilled the blank a bit sloppy because once set the insert was slightly off centre.

Nice looking pen, John !!!

Please let us know how long the colors take to even out.

Also, I am just curious as to your experiences with the Lignum Vitae.
I have a few small slabs here that I am going to cut in to soon and would value your thoughts on working with it.

Bill

Twissy

Nice looking pen, John !!!

Please let us know how long the colors take to even out.

Also, I am just curious as to your experiences with the Lignum Vitae.
I have a few small slabs here that I am going to cut in to soon and would value your thoughts on working with it.

Bill

Thanks Bill. It is really nice to work with. I did find it a bit greasy though, so I sharpened my skew a few times during turning. Used the skew as a scraper prior to 400 then 600 grit Abranet. Then the middle 5 Micromesh dry prior to the PPP.
Regards
John

OZturner

Beautiful Pen John,
Your design, and exercution are Splendid.
The choice of Lignum Vitae is most appropriate, being a classical timber, strong and very suitable for threading.
Your Fit and Finish is Superb
Well Done,
Brian.

Top Bottom