Custom FP in Jade and Tortoise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tortoise

Tortoise

This Alternate Jade is a gorgeous material. I can't photograph it properly, but it looks like real stone. It was also difficult to turn. The Alternate Tortoise was much easier to turn. I made about 4 sections before I had one I liked, and even made a slightly smaller pen with a more curved cap to keep for myself. Comments, observations, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I need all the help I can get! Thanks.

Alternate Jade & Alternate Tortoise from Exotic Blanks
Nib: Meisternib #6
Cartridge/Converter/Eyedropper

Length capped: 145mm
Length uncapped: 133mm
Length posted: 163mm
Cap length: 62mm
Cap diameter: 17.5 - 15.6
Barrel diameter: 14.75 at section, 10.84mm at end
Section diameter: 12.27mm - 10.8mm

1_JadeTort012.jpg

1_JadeTort001.jpg

1_JadeTort002.jpg

1_JadeTort003.jpg

1_JadeTort004.jpg

1_JadeTort005.jpg

1_JadeTort006.jpg

1_JadeTort007.jpg

1_JadeTort008.jpg

1_JadeTort009.jpg

1_JadeTort010.jpg

1_JadeTort011.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Your best creation yet Renee!!! You need to up your pic skills to match your turning skills!:wink:

Tortoise

Great looking pen!! Is the material PR?

The description at Exotic Blanks says it's a resin made specially for turners. It certainly smells like the other PRs I've tried. Now that I've gone back to read the details, I see that it's more brittle than the other Alternate Resins, and they recommend sharp tools and an experienced hand. Oops! No wonder I found it challenging!

Tortoise

Renee,

Looks phenomenal! What are you using for your clips?

Mostly I've used the Dianne and Lynn clips. The one on this pen is a Dianne. I'm pretty sure I got them at Classic Nib. I've just gotten a whole slew of new (to me) clips, of which I've used a Virage and a Rinehart. There's just not much choice out there in custom pen clips. Either they're huge or teeny tiny.

wiset1

Truly amazing combination of colors and you've done a really great job on the shape and overall balance of the pen. Just awesome

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nicely done, Renee!!

Yes the alternate jade will try your turning skills!! But once you have mastered it, you are ready for almost anything!! AND there is a great feeling of satisfaction to knowing you CAN turn it!! At least that's the way I felt when I finally "mastered" it.

GREAT pen!!

Tortoise

Truly amazing combination of colors and you've done a really great job on the shape and overall balance of the pen. Just awesome

Nicely done, Renee!!

Yes the alternate jade will try your turning skills!! But once you have mastered it, you are ready for almost anything!! AND there is a great feeling of satisfaction to knowing you CAN turn it!! At least that's the way I felt when I finally "mastered" it.

GREAT pen!!

Beautiful! I love the colors and the way they work together. Super impressive that you cut nice clean threads in that resin. Well done!

Thanks, guys! You are all quite an inspiration to me!

SDB777

That photo of the threading shows me you took quite awhile with this one and did everything right. All the pieces are very well polished and the fit on them is truly done with care!! Someone would be a fool for not purchasing this right now!!!!

Scott (colors blend magnificently) B

Top Bottom