Custom Display Box - Your oppinion please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edavisj316

edavisj316

I made this as a retirement gift for my daughters' principle. It is made from Mahogany and Black Walnut. This is really the prototype. Thus there will be some changes in the production model.

I am thinking that I will do some inlay on the front of the end posts to dress it up a bit more for the production model.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• pens 124.jpg
    pens 124.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 160
  • pens 125.jpg
    pens 125.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 170
  • pens 127.jpg
    pens 127.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 232
  • pens 128.jpg
    pens 128.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Nice design and a good looking box. I don't think it needs a lot of dressing up -- my opinion would be to stay subtle if you go that route.

-Barry

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great design! it works well as a simple elegant minimalistic object. It would also look great with laser engraving or even with a polished brass plate.

edavisj316

Thanks for the input.

The box utilizes a hidden hinge. I use 1/8" brass rod.

What I was thinking for an embellishment was to rout a V-groove up the center of the edge, them fill that with a piece of the Walnut. Then go back and rout another V-groove and fill that with a piece of either brass or aluminum [to match the hardware on the pen] angle stock.

I was also thinking about using a lighter colored wood for the bottom of the box just to lighten up the interior a bit. Maybe stay with the Mahogany, but I like the contrast of the Mahogany of the pen stands against the Walnut in the interior.

Top Bottom