Custom Baron FP endcap.....not planned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

It looks like Murphy crossed the border from Canada. Must have come in on that cold wind we had today. Anyway I was doing my second
Baron kit and of course Mr. I-Know-Everything-And-Don't-Need-to-Review-the-Directions-Because-I-Put-One-Together-Three-Weeks-Ago screwed up the posting thread on the end section. I had the little trim ring facing the wrong direction and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get that little section to press into the brass tube.....IDIOT, it was bass-ackwards! I did eventually manage to shove the threads down through the trim ring and ruin most of them. I knew that new arbor press would come in handy.

After moping around I pulled out the matching end cutoff, chucked it in my cheap PSI scroll chuck and did something I had planned to do for a different pen.

What do you think?

BTW cocobolo is awesome for the fine details.....

33-34-silver-barons.jpg

cocobolo-endcap.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

GREAT save! That came out fantastic! Its a nice alternative to the standard design (not that I have a problem with the Baron).

PenWorks

Very nice. I really like the wood end cap. I also had that same idea of the cut you put on the cocobolo, that came out really sharp as well, now I know what it will look like. Fine job.

Anthony

melogic

AWESOME Shane! That was a good fix. I really like both pens but being cocobola is my favorite wood, I'm more partial to it. I think both of them are wonderful and great job on the fix for the cocobola.

woodpens

Excellent save, Shane! You shouldn't have told us about the mistake. We'd have never guessed there was an oops involved. Great job!

Randy_

That cocobolo pen is terrific!! Nice work!!

If Murphy helped in the design of that pen, I'd be tempted to keep him around!!!

I'm having a temporary lapse.....? Who sells the Baron kit??

Darley

Well what I can say everyone take the word of my mind so I will say BRAVO ! fro those pen I realy like the cocobola but both are perfect, mistake make sometime something better [:)]

Serge

jkirkb94

Fantastic save!! Maybe you ought to screw up more often! I like it better with the mistake fixed! Randy, Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silhouette sells the Barons. Kirk[8D]

woodscavenger

Thanks for the comments. The more I look at it and write with it the more I like it. I really liked the Baron kit but the have wanted a tapered end for a while so when life gave me Mr. Murphy I turned him into Murphy-ade! I am probably going to try the same on a couple of other kits. What other woods take the fine details well enough to do this with? I am going to try a couple of stabilized BEB pen.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />Excellent save, Shane! You shouldn't have told us about the mistake. We'd have never guessed there was an oops involved. Great job!

Yes, he should have. [:)] I'm going to print out his post and have it in front of me as a reminder when I do my first Baron. I'm waiting for the kits from BB right now. And I'm often one of those who live (die?) by the words "When all else fails, read the directions." Woodpens did me a favor. I will read the directions. [;)]

woodscavenger

The thing I learned it that if the part isn't going in with the press, the answerr is NOT to just push harder! I am still kicking myself for not having that trim ring the right direction. It sure was an ugly sound to hear the grind of the threads getting shoved down through the trim ring.

woodscavenger

BTW the big leaf maple pen was delivered today to a nurse with a maple case and custom insert (thanks to BB) for her brother's 50th birthday. My first $100 commision. She was quite pleased. It is funny because I also made did a pen/pencil set for the other nurse there for her husbands 50th. Pretty cool. Thanks for all the nice words.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have never made a Baron ,but when I do I will remember that.
Somewhere I read,
"The mark of a true craftsman is the ability to turn a mistake into ..."
I forget the rest of it.
The gist of the expression is exactly what you did.
Now if you could thread the cocobolo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom