Mini Review CUSA Apprntice Collet Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I am working with a Jet Midi in Tucson and missed having a collet chuck. Craft Supply recently added an "Apprentice Collet Chuck" to the list if items it was selling. The chuck appeared to be using the ER32 standard collets I have been using for some years on other lathes. I did want to stay with ER32 because of the range of sizes and past success with good holding ability and low runout.

Other ER32 chucks considered were the Beall, and PSI. I looked at the WoodRiver Chuck at Woodcraft, and noted that it does not use the ER32 Standard for collets.

The Chuck was additionally desirable because it came with the headstock threading of 1-1/4 by 8 with an insert for 1 by 8 threads. The Big Lathe in Juneau is the larger size while the Jet Midi here in Tucson (snobirding) is 1 by 8. The catalog also has a 1 by 8 thread with 3/4 by 16 insert. While the flexibility comes with an expectation of a thousand or two additional runout, the ability to buy for the midi and also have the larger size thread for larger lathes seemed worth it.

The chuck arrived packed in a blown plastic case in a box in a box (well packed). The chuck has "tommy bars" for tightening and loostening the closing ring. The Tommy bars were a close fit. Five Collets graduated by 1/8 inch increments were included from 1/4 to 3/4 by 1/8 increments. The collets only have a 1/16 or 1 mm range of action so there are gaps, which can be filled as needed by purchase of additional collets.

My experience has been that other than the 5/16 or 8mm collet, I do not use many of the intermediate sizes. That one is mostly used to hold the "B Mandrel". 1/4 inch holds the A-mandrel, 1/2 inch holds jam chucks such as used for refrig magnets or rods for minature turning, 3/8 holds a bottle stopper mandrel, 3/4 holds rounded blanks for pen drilling. The 1/4 and 3/8 collets hold finials for detailed turning too.

Finish is good, but not polished. At the $90 plus shipping (rounded) I did not expect polish. Knurling was good, and not too sharp. ER 32 collets are mounted into the closer ring and the assembly threaded onto the collet body. The collets fit into the closer ring with a soft snap and the assembly threaded ont the body nicely. The closer tightend down nicely without the use of the tommy bars for the 1/2 inch jam chuck I was ready to use.

I do not have the dial indicators here in Tucson, but the tool rest test with feeler gage shows expected runout with the insert of a few thousands. Certainly less runout in comparison to the drill chucks (they have normall runout of 0.005-0.007).

I am satisfied I got good value and will be using this in the coming weeks.

Key question is will I pack it back to Juneau? Time will tell.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Nice review, Ken.

In the catalog photos, this chuck appears to be very similar to the PSI collet chuck, only with a little bit better quality knurling.

Would you say that the quality of this chuck is in line with the PSI and the Beall?

its_virgil

Nice review Ken. I had to get a 1 1/4 x 8 collet chuck to use in Phoenix and other demostrations. Seems I demo on mostly larger lathes with 1 1/4 x 8 threads.The PSI doesn't come with those threads. I had looked at the CSUSA website awhile back, looked in the catalog and they only had the Beall. Maybe I just missed it. I did not want to spend almost the same for an adapter so I bought a chuck only from Beall. I wish now I had looked at the CSUSA website one more time. The CSUSA collet chuck with the 5 collets is about the same price as the Beall collet chuck with no collets. Thanks for telling us about this. See you in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to the DWR.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Whaler

Excellent review Ken. Keep us posted as you use it more. I am in the market for one and had decided on the PSI but would much rather purchase from CSUSA. The word "Apprentice" made me wonder about this one.

KenV

Andy -- I can compare to Beall as I have two ( 1-1/4 by 8 and 3/4 by 16) I have not had the PSI version in hand, and have examined the Woodriver. Beall has a polished finish and uses spanner wrenches. The CUSA is not highly polished, has better grip with the knurled surfaces, and uses tommy bars. I think I like the tommy bars better. The collets are interchangable. As Don notes, the bare Beall is of comperable price to the CUSA system. Runout is similar.

Woodriver has a different collet system (not the standard ER32) with fewer fingers on the collets.

PenMan1

Thanks, Ken. I already own both a Beall and a PSI collet chuck. I was thinking about buying a third one (I know, I know, but they are for different uses in different places).

The PSI is the same price with 5 collets as the Beall with no collets. By telling me that the runout is about the same as the Beall, you helped me make a decision. I need an extra set of collets and since CUSA is a IAP Bash Sponsor, I have decided the next collet will be from CUSA.

Thanks again for an excellent review.

jskeen

Darnit! got my psi collet chuck a month or two ago. Wish I had seen this one first, as I would also have preferred to order from csusa. They are almost certainly made in the same factory in china. The tommy bars look identical, and the case has the same latch and reinforcing grooves in the lid, just a different color.

The tool snob in me really wants to say that I wish I had gotten the beall with no collets and ordered a 3-20 mm set from 800watt, because I know that the quality and tolerances on the beall are better. But, as much as I love JR's stuff, the knurled knob and ring on the knockoff's are just a better design than the sexier looking polished chuck that requires you to use the wrenches almost every time. That, and I didn't have the extra $$$ for the collet set at the same time. :)

Last edited:

KenV

Don -- If there is a chance you can use an extra collet chuck for your rotations, whistle and I can bring the CUSA chuck along when I come up from Tucson to Mesa.

May be it will be warmer by then -- about 20 in Tucson this morning (Alaska temps in the South of Arizona), but it will be warmer than Alaska by mid-morning.

Top Bottom