Curved aluminum segments - chip out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have made a black walnut pen blank with four sheets of .016" aluminum curving through it they are glued in with plenty of medium ca. I am experiencing bad chip out trying to turn it down to a cylinder. I am using a 3/4 roughing gouge which is freshly sharpened, but no luck. I have it reglued and drying right now, but should I change tools? Should I use a skew that I sharpen with a diamond hone up to 600?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I just was reading an article today on "life lessons". The gist of it was that you will only learn from mistakes, not successes; I have learned a lot. My experience has been that epoxy, allowed to set over night, seems to give much better results when joining dissimilar materials such as metal and wood. I'm not saying I have the definitive answer on this but this has been my experience. Keep trying all options till you find the repeatable success that awaits you.
WB

alphageek

Former Moderator
Normally, I do much of my segmenting with CA, but aluminum sheet for a filler is the one place that I agree that epoxy is a good idea.

Top Bottom