Curse all you pendant making trouble makers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

I was peacefully looking at the pendant pictures by myself, or so I thought, when I heard SWMBO gasp, right behind me, (she can be sneaky) and say-----How come you have not made me one of those?? That was last night. Here is todays project. After reading about some of the near misses and one direct hit, I made a fixture. I made an round aluminum one with a steel threaded pin that just screws in to the hole that you need on the back. I put two offset threaded holes in so I can do the larger opening or move the pin and make the pendant with the smaller hole closer to the edge. Also made my wood blank larger than the fixture so I can round the outside edge all the way over, no sharp edge. Here is my first pendant, large hole model out of purple heart. And I have that feeling it will not be my last.

Attachments

• pendent 003.jpg
    pendent 003.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 292
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Looks great, I have been researching this most of the day, and I think I have it figured out. So I am going to the shop as soon as I stop poking around here.

CaptG

As requested, first is back side of pendant, next three are both sides of fixture. Pin is 5/16 dia. with 1/4 thread. Dia. of aluminum fixture is 1 3/4 inches. This size lets the wood overhang a bit so I can round the outside edge. I am going to make another with the offset holes 180 degrees instead of 90 degrees. That will allow more holding surface for the tape. I counter sunk the areas around the offset holes for tool clearance when making the string hole. This works really good and lets me crank the pendants out pretty fast, which I need to do now that LOML has discovered these and blabbed to my sisters. Thanks guys. I have made contact with the fixture a couple times while turning and with all the smooth surfaces and rounded edges, no pain.

Attachments

• pendent 2 002.jpg
    pendent 2 002.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 175
  • pendent 2 003.jpg
    pendent 2 003.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 158
  • pendent 2 004.jpg
    pendent 2 004.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 163
  • pendent 2 006.jpg
    pendent 2 006.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 171

jleiwig

I'm wondering if you could some how take another piece of aluminum and drill and tap a 1x8 tpi hole in it so that you have something more substantial than the pin? Some sort of cam type system to allow you to move them for off center turning of the string hole?

I'll have to think on it a bit...

CaptG

I hold the pin in a collet with the shoulder of the pin flush with the collet nose piece. The aluminum body screws up until it stops against the collet chuck nose piece. It is very solid. I just have to unscrew the aluminum body and screw it back on in the position I want. Simple and quick.

Top Bottom