Curious about CA problems.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have been experiencing vocal chord problems, sore throat, and sinus flare-ups. I wear a mask during turning, use an exhast fan & vaccumn, but I have about decided that I must be allergic to the fumes created by the CA during the curing process. Has anyone else experienced simialr issues to CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

Are you sure it's not allergy to local pollen or wood dust? If you only have these symptoms in the shop then it could still be wood dust as well. Watch for when the symptoms spike and maybe you can narrow it down.
The new wipe on finishes may be the way to go for you if you just want to get away from CA to be on the safe side, and switch to epoxy for the tubes.
What part of Arkansas are you at? I grew up in Jacksonville.

Although I don't consider my reaction "allergic", I get a runny nose and slight eye sting from exposure to CA curing fumes, which clear up when I have proper ventilation. I've heard of CA sensitivity, but as others have said, check for wood allergy as well.

Hendu3270

Everyone here could have a different sensitivity to different materials. CA fumes don't bother me. HOWEVER! I will say this. I wear contact lenses, and I have applied a CA finish a couple of times when I didn't have my contacts in and my eyes burned and watered from the fumes. With my contacts in, no problems. Never noticed a respirtory issue.

This is the same thing I've noticed if I have a butt on the smoker for 14 hours on a Saturday. If my contacts are in, they keep the smoke from burning my eyes at all, no matter how long I'm standing in it. But without my contacts in, my eyes burn and water in no time when the smoke hits them.

BSea

I started using an organic respirator from HD. I have a real problem with my sinuses if I'm exposed to CA for any length of time. I'll wake up in about a day, and not be able to breathe out of my nose at all. The resistor will let me use CA for an hour or so, but more than that I'll still have a problem. I'm guessing I'm getting exposed through my eyes.

Last edited:

carlmorrell

I had to stop all woodworking 10 years ago. I started having serious allergic reactions. Even though I tested positive for everything they tested, I felt like the only time I would have a flare-up was when I working with CA. My eyes would swell up, and would need prednisone shots.

After 7 years of immunotherapy, put all my equipment on a dust collection system, minimize my time in the garage. Now I am mostly healthy.

YMMV

sbwertz

I have a fan that blows across my lathe, plus a Jet dust collector. Between the two, it keeps the fumes from bothering my eyes.

Hendu3270

I have a fan that blows across my lathe, plus a Jet dust collector. Between the two, it keeps the fumes from bothering my eyes.

Haha, funny you should say this. I used to use my dust collector for this reason as well...until I accidently bumped the bottle of CA after I set it on the top of the headstock. I disappeared in a flash! and was followed by a loud bang bang pop pop pop as the bottle hit the blades before I could turn it off. I can laugh about it now :bulgy-eyes:

Phillip - Basic answer to your Q is "yes". I had no reaction to the fumes when I first started using CA. However, I developed very similar symptoms to yours after some time. I have been successful in keeping them at bay by using powered ventilation during the summer months when the shop windows are open and a good mask (activated charcoal filter, etc) when the shop is buttoned up. I've also discovered that CA dust (from sanding) is a significant contributor to my symptoms. Control the fumes and dust, control the symptoms.

Jim Burr

Banned
I have been experiencing vocal chord problems, sore throat, and sinus flare-ups. I wear a mask during turning, use an exhast fan & vaccumn, but I have about decided that I must be allergic to the fumes created by the CA during the curing process. Has anyone else experienced simialr issues to CA?

The mask you are using is not VOC rated. Under no circumstances should you ever breathe anything that is a result of turning.

sbwertz

Haha, funny you should say this. I used to use my dust collector for this reason as well...until I accidently bumped the bottle of CA after I set it on the top of the headstock. I disappeared in a flash! and was followed by a loud bang bang pop pop pop as the bottle hit the blades before I could turn it off. I can laugh about it now :bulgy-eyes:

One of the advantages of CA/BLO finish is that you apply the CA to the paper towel, not the blank. Which means the glue sits on a table beside the lathe and doesn't get close to the lathe itself when the lathe is running. :biggrin:

Hendu3270

One of the advantages of CA/BLO finish is that you apply the CA to the paper towel, not the blank. Which means the glue sits on a table beside the lathe and doesn't get close to the lathe itself when the lathe is running. :biggrin:

lol. Good point!

monophoto

Wife just mentioned something that could help here - - - she was in a cookware shop yesterday and saw some goggles intended to prevent that burning sensation that accompanies slicing onions.

Has anyone tried using onion goggles to prevent eye discomfort when using CA?

Top Bottom