curcuit board pens, how much

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drayman

hi all, with all the ballahoo going on with the curcuit board pens, i wonder what prices are you selling them for. i have just turned one from bruce and its superb. well done bruce. thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

All depends how much you can get in your area, and how much you want to earn. The simple approach is to multiply the cost with a factor - others differ and come up with quite elaborate formulas for pricing. The blank cost $25 plus a nice kit (I used the black Chrome click Sierra for $10), so you out already $35. Since you live in England, you have to figure shipping to you cost in, plus some finishing cost (sand paper, mm and the like) as well as cost for tooling (bushing, mandrel, gouge, skew etc). So, make this $40. Use a multiplier of 2 makes it $80 for sale, use factor 3 and you come to $120 sales price. I personally do not think I could get the $120 for it in my area, which is normally a high price area (NJ, close to NYC).
Its all up to you - and as I said, I use this simple approach.
You can do a search and you find a lot of pricing info here on IAP.

drayman

hi bruce, yes it is one of yours. i asked ron ( mu4ever ) to get me a couple while he was in florida over xmas, and was telling me how much of a nice guy you are. i must admit the blanks are truly fantastic, you do a great job :eek::eek:
the batteries are useless on my camera so i will get a photo up when i sort it later today ( hopefuly ):beer: here's to you bruce.

lwalden

I turned one of Bruce's this weekend, Took it to work this morning, and sold it for $85.00. Was planning on taking a picture tonight, but can't do that now....maybe I'll just take a picture of the $85.......

jttheclockman

Lyle, nice job on the sale. Have to ask you though, did the person ask if you made the blank???? I am getting that alot. Did the person hesitate at that price??? I was thinking of selling them for $75.

el_d

Alot of people ask If I made the blank, I got 1 of Bruces originals. I sold mine for 100.00 and was told I could probably get more money for it. Dang:mad:

RMB

I don't think I could sell such a high priced blank. Seeing as how I sell Sierras for 45 with most woods, and a bit more with acrylic or burl, I don't think people would pay the extra to have a circuit board Sierra rather than any other. Therefore, I haven't made any. If I where to put it on a higher priced pen (jr. gent or similar), then the extra 50$ or so may not be such a deterent.

scotian12

I have sold 6 at $90 to$100. They were sold as personal pens and gifts to IT types. A very specific clientel market at that price. The high price is justified as you are taking on more risk at a higher blank price if you penetrate the circuit board when turning or shatter the blank. Don't be afraid to charge higher prices. Your market will tell you if you are too high and then you can readjust downward. Darrell

drayman

thanks for the replies guys, interesting. i will tell you about my area where i live,,, up untill the early 1980's when maggie thatcher was prime minister she closed all the coalmines down 100,000's lost their jobs, and my area became like lebanon.so we are still a very poor area indeed. still not much work here.but,,, but,,, i thought that if my pens are good enough then they will not be cheap, so here's my prices,,
slims = 25.00
euro = 35.00
cigar = 45.00
jr gents = 75.00
sierra = 60.00
gents = 100.00
and today i have sold the circuit board pen from bruce 85.00 all prices in pounds sterling so bruce my friend get them blanks made i'm comming for more.:eek::eek:

slims = 25.00
euro = 35.00
cigar = 45.00
jr gents = 75.00
sierra = 60.00
gents = 100.00
and today i have sold the circuit board pen from bruce 85.00 all prices in pounds sterling so bruce my friend get them blanks made i'm comming for more.:eek::eek:

Wow drayman!
That's about $35 USD for a slimline and $120.00 USD for the PCB pens!!!
In an area that has lost alot of jobs?

I'm pretty sure you are getting about 25% higher prices than I could on a good day. Of course, here in KC, people are just a bit cheaper and won't pay that. COLA is low here.

Top Bottom