Curacao de negro burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

I can only find a couple of references to this wood. I bought a block of dense burl and it does not like to be turned! Sharp tools and it still breaks apart. Go fast, take light cuts, razor sharp tools. However, and I mean this completely, it is absolutely, downright, darned worth all the effort!

It has a golden shimmer coming off each burl that I cannot capture in a photo and the colors are stunning.

Finish is Ca.

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1728.jpg
    IMG_1728.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vanngo5d

Wow what great looking piece of wood I love the way it looks like strings holding it together with great depth. Nice pen,

Don Vann

Scruffy

Stephen .... I think the wood also goes by Coracao de Negro. I have some lumber, about 12 bf.I don't have any burl. The non-burl turns fine, except that some pieces will crack toward the end grain on long pieces. It is from Brazil and I think the amount that can be imported has been limited by the feds in the last year or two. Same way they are limiting other woods. Only a select group can import.

I love the wood in lumber; it has great variations. Brown to black, dark brown laced with reddish streaks, cream and streaks of white. With the grain meandering rather than just straight.

Your burls are beautiful.

Do you think that this wood needs to be stabilized?Do you have a source for the wood? Mine has no stock left.Attached is a pic of two pens and a blank which I think show the variation of color and grain. (please forgive me I have a $35 camera and I take lousy photos.)

Alan

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

yorkie

I bought a block of the burl from Woodcraft and got about ten pieces out of it, some are two-tone. I don't think it needs to be stabilized, I think it would be too dense to stabilize.

Stephen .... I think the wood also goes by Coracao de Negro. I have some lumber, about 12 bf.I don't have any burl. The non-burl turns fine, except that some pieces will crack toward the end grain on long pieces. It is from Brazil and I think the amount that can be imported has been limited by the feds in the last year or two. Same way they are limiting other woods. Only a select group can import.

I love the wood in lumber; it has great variations. Brown to black, dark brown laced with reddish streaks, cream and streaks of white. With the grain meandering rather than just straight.

Your burls are beautiful.

Do you think that this wood needs to be stabilized?Do you have a source for the wood? Mine has no stock left.Attached is a pic of two pens and a blank which I think show the variation of color and grain. (please forgive me I have a $35 camera and I take lousy photos.)

Alan

Top Bottom