CSUSA Rollerball help,what did I do wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Hi All,

I made my 2nd Americana rollerball pen,and it turned out great....until I went to snap the cap on both ends.It wouldn't snap on,until the plastic cap was turned out about 4 1/2 turns (instead of the normal 1 1/2 turns out setting)

Now it snaps on the cap-end ok,but doesn't stay on the nib-end hardly at all.I took the plastc part back out,and it's not gripping at all,especially on the nib-end.

I was real careful to take exactly 1/4 inch off the long barrel for the centerband,but to me it seems like I must have errored there,so it's too long? If not that,what else would explain the 4 1/2 turns out? At about 5 turns out,it doesn't stay in the barrel,so that's bad.

Why it stays on the cap-end and not the nib-end puzzles me.Do you think that asking CSUSA for another cap and nib would help,or did I goof it up?

I hate to make it a shop-pen,since the spalted mango blank turned out so nice.I want to learn from my mistakes,so I thought I'd the experts here for some help.

Thanks for any help!

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

I was feeling pretty down in the dumps with over 100 views and no responses......then I got a phone call from CSUSA offering to help me fix it after reading my post here on the I A P.!

I got a lot of helpful tips and there is some parts coming in the mail.Even if it doesn't fix it,just knowing that they cared to help makes me want to be a customer for life! It's refreshing to experience such excellent service.

If I' get it figured out,I'll update this post in case someone else has the same problem and I can pass on what I've learned.

Boy,did that ever make my day!

Steve

Akula

What did they say? I some some here and have not done them yet, been waiting to come across some nice wood to make my wife a deskset. Had these for a year or longer LOL Just keep forgetting

ossaguy

(I haven't tried it yet)

But instead of turning the cap in with the special tool all the way in til it bottoms,then back out on it 1 1/2 turns,............ to insert it,and turn it just a little ways ...then test for where it clicks in place,then go a little more at a time til it's just right.You never want to have to turn it back out,just one direction-in.This will make a stop for it in the threads of the cap. ( my cap was coming out too )

Also,the latest instructions call for 5-16'' of the barrel material removed to the brass tube,instead of the 1/4'' spec on my instruction sheet.

If the new cap and nib part doesn't fix it,I'll have to start over with another kit since I blue locktited the band and end cap in place so I don't think I can take it apart to redo it.I want to learn how to do it right,I like the Americana looks.

I hope it works.I just love the way the rollerball writes! Now when I pick a pen off the rack to write with I pick that one first.

Steve

Lee K

Hey Steve ... I was a couple of the 100 views and no responses :biggrin:

I am turning my first one of those right now, and before I started assembly I was looking to see what your resolution was! Thanks for sharing the information.

I am actually trying the fountain pen first, but the mechanics are the same.

ossaguy

Thanks for the hair dryer trick,Lee.I'll have to try that.

Lee K, I'd like to try a fountain pen,I've never used one.I saw how it turned out on your post,and it looks fantastic!

The parts came today,and following the threading-in advice did it.Snaps on perfect.

Thanks so much to Sam at CSUSA!

I posted it on my photobucket pen-turning scrapbook in case anyone wants to see
( last pics,number 64 and 65,last page )

At http://s361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/ossaguy/

Take care,
Steve

Top Bottom