CSUSA mandrel and bushings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel07

I just recieved my first order for an Emporer and I want to make sure I don't screw it up. Lately I've had some issues with my woodcraft mandrels and cigar bushings and my blanks have been turning out of round so I was thinking of getting a new mandrel and bushings from CSUSA. I would rather not order a new mandrel but the CSUSA website says "As this mandrel and its bushings are very precise, they are not guaranteed to interchange with any other pen turning mandrel system."
I realize this is not a perfect world but I would like to reduce my chances for problems. Anyone have any problems with these mandrels and bushings or does anyone have a better recommendation? Would the Bealle collet chuck eliminate this problem?

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

They are probably wise to issue that advisory even though it may be a bit of overkill. Any proper size mandrel should work just fine. I believe that the CS mandrels come from Berea. But a call to their tech support can get you a full explanation. I'm sure some who have made the Emps will chime in here soon.

ilikewood

#1 problem of out of round barrels....ends not trimmed square!! Make sure you buy a GOOD end trimmer, or find a way to make sure they are exactly perpendicular to the mandrel. If they are just slightly out, when you tighten the nut (even just a little bit), it will put just the slightest bend in the mandrel...hence out of round finished pens.

When I first started making pens, this happened to me alot until I got my ends square.

74cuda

I your opinion was is a GOOD end trimmer?

Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />#1 problem of out of round barrels....ends not trimmed square!! Make sure you buy a GOOD end trimmer, or find a way to make sure they are exactly perpendicular to the mandrel. If they are just slightly out, when you tighten the nut (even just a little bit), it will put just the slightest bend in the mandrel...hence out of round finished pens.

When I first started making pens, this happened to me alot until I got my ends square.

Randy_

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />.....I believe that the CS mandrels come from Berea.....

I think Frank meant to say the Woodcraft mandrels come from Berea. To the best of my knowledge, CS mandrels are their own.

According to published information, the Berea and CSUSA mandrels are very close to the same size and should be interchangeable. The problems you have had with the cigar kits are much more likely to be due to problem bushings or some other cause.

dbriski

I don't think the Woodcraft and Berea mandrels are the same. I have the woodcraft one and I got a new shaft from berea and the threads were not compatible (and looked different) with the woodcraft one.

Firefyter-emt

I have the CSUSA MT-2 mandrel and turn PSI, Berea, & CSUSA kits and do not have problems. Now the PSI mandral with Berea Cigar bushings, yes.. But the fit this new mandral much better.

Randy_

Originally posted by dbriski
<br />I don't think the Woodcraft and Berea mandrels are the same. I have the woodcraft one and I got a new shaft from berea and the threads were not compatible (and looked different) with the woodcraft one.

Dave: I have wondered about that. The unique threading of the Woodcraft mandrels has been reported before. The Berea Precision mandrels are threaded with a 1/4" x 28 UNF thread at both ends. And that is standard for most of the sellers in the USA. The Woodcraft mandrel has a smaller 10x32 UNF thread on the headstock end, if I remember correctly, that is unique to Woodcraft. (If someone has a WC mandrel and can text it against a 10x32 and or a 10x24 threaded nut, I would appreciate it.)

I think I will send an email to the Woodcraft people and see what light they can or will shed on the subject and will report back when I get a response. Thanks for jump-starting my curiosity.

Randy

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by dbriski
<br />I don't think the Woodcraft and Berea mandrels are the same. I have the woodcraft one and I got a new shaft from berea and the threads were not compatible (and looked different) with the woodcraft one.

Dave: I have wondered about that. The unique threading of the Woodcraft mandrels has been reported before. The Berea Precision mandrels are threaded with a 1/4" x 28 UNF thread at both ends. And that is standard for most of the sellers in the USA. The Woodcraft mandrel has a smaller 10x32 UNF thread on the headstock end, if I remember correctly, that is unique to Woodcraft. (If someone has a WC mandrel and can text it against a 10x32 and or a 10x24 threaded nut, I would appreciate it.)

I think I will send an email to the Woodcraft people and see what light they can or will shed on the subject and will report back when I get a response. Thanks for jump-starting my curiosity.

Randy

Let us know what they say. My last mandrel came from CS and except for color was identical to my other one which is a Berea I got from HUT. It gets confusing.

Randy_

Here is what Woodcraft has to say about their bushings and mandrels.

1) Our mandrels and bushings do not come from Berea. Bushings made in the US with a couple newer ones coming from Taiwan with corresponding pen kits.

2) The thread on the head stock end is 10-32. The other end is
1/4 x 28.

3) Diameter of mandrel is 0.245â€

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom