CSUSA kit question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Ok, here is a question. It was brought to my attention that the Jr Gent & the Jr Statesman use the same bushing kit (and I see they do) Now my first question is why are the 2 pens listed as diffrent sizes? One is listed as 1/2" and one as 9/16" ?? Then, looking closer the cap threads sure look the same, is there a chance that the threadded end cap from a Jr. Gent (Rhodium FP) be put on to a Jr. Statesman (Rhodium FP) and will create a posting Jr. Statesman?? I have not made either kit, but I would love a posting Jr.Statesman and this worked I would still have the Jr.Gent sellable and not have to buy diffrent bushings just to do it. Could someone test this theroy by putting a cap from a Jr. Statesman onto a Jr Gent. at both ends for me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reed43

They are the same size.The only Jr Statesman v2 I make I put the threaded ends on them. You have to buy them separate but they are the same as the jr Gents v2 Reed

cozee

Marketing at work!!! I make my own bushings out of Corian or aluminum and use calipers for sizing everything.

reed43

Yes you can. On the jr gent you have a choice of tapered or threaded end cap. On the jr Statesman you do not get that choice but you can purchase them seperate. Reed

Firefyter-emt

This is very good news! I had settled on the Americana FP but I a quite displeased with the cap design so far. I have the tool to properly install the insert in it and I hope that makes the kit work better, but for now the fit keeps loosening on me.

Reed, one more question. What do they charge for the threaded end cap if you buy the Jr. Statesman kit?

reed43

Just looked on craft supply web site and both the jr gent and jr sratesman call for 12.5 mm and 27/64 for both pens. I use 1/2 and a letter z bit for both pens. When they first came out they called for a 1/2 inch bit and 27/64. Reed

Firefyter-emt

Although you answered my question, it was in a round about way. In the CSUSA catalouge the Jr. Statesman size is listed as a 1/2" diameter pen and the Jr. Gent as a 9/16" pen. You were giving me the drill bit sizes and it kinda hit me, It would be pretty hard to drill a blank with a 12.5mm (1/2") drill bit, glue in a tube, and make a 1/2" diameter pen, Eh? [;)]I have to assume that the finished pen size of 1/2" x 4-3/4" is not correct.

gerryr

An easy way to figure the finished diameter is to add 1/16" to diameter of the largest bit used for drilling. It isn't very exact, but it will give you a fair idea. That probably doesn't work for SLs, though and I know it doesn't work for cigars.

nilsatcraft

The O.D. of the largest bushings in the Jr. Statesman/Jr. Gent kits is .565, which is just over 9/16". Most people turn the center of their blanks slightly larger than the bushing, so it could get a bit larger. Also, although we still have the threaded end caps for the Jr. Gentlemen's pens, we won't always have an abundant supply. Our next shipment of Jrs will have the end caps matched up to the pen to ensure proper threading. That means that we won't receive our end caps separately. We'll likely still have some floating around but not as many as we have now. I hope this info helps!

Firefyter-emt

Thanks for the heads up Niles, the thing with the 2 kits is that if the info is correct, both kits use the same bushings. If they both use the exact same bushings then the listes size should really be the same. I mean sure, a slim line could be 2" thick if you wanted to... but you would not list it that way. The Jr.Statesman must be wrong based just on the drill bit size the finished pen has to be larger than 1/2"

While on the topic, why is the Jr. Statesman not sold with a threadded post or the smooth end like the Jr. Gent. Seems like a lot more higher end pens may sell that way, I don't sit at a desk and would rather not stick a pen cap in my pocket while in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom