Cross-slide Drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

Well I figured Mike didn't want his tailstock DRO thread to keep rearing breaths of life so I started a new thread but this is a follow-up to the discussion about drilling using the cross slide as Justin and others had suggested. I was worried about whether I could consistenly align a drill chuck mounted on a cross slide. Well I noticed a link in the 9x20lathe group that I think provides a good solution. I think by mounting this in you're drill chuck you could move the cross slide until the mark lines up and then you would be centered on the axis for drilling. I don't have this yet but wanted to pass along the idea.

https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2747&category=

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Gil, i dont see any reason why this woudnt work as long as your QCTP vertical height is set. I made it sound simple the other day, but my DRO has memory, so i can recall the location back to zero every time to use the tool. Others with the DRO's like everyone is getting, should be able to use this to do the same thing if they dont already have the DRO on the tail stock. It seems most people have already gone the tailstock DRO route.

Paul in OKC

I have done this with big drills on a large lathe. one way is to chuck a rod that will fit in the drill chuck holder into the lathe chuck. (I am assuming 1/2") slide the holder onto the tool post and leave loose. Bring up to the rod and guide it into the holder, then set everything in place and away you go. Biggest thing is to make sure you are parallel with the X axis.

Rich L

.... Biggest thing is to make sure you are parallel with the X axis.

yep, ...

You can have the right height and centered x-wise but you'd better be co-linear with Z, too. This is a three axis alignment problem that is really not too hard but you gotta pay attention. X-linear, Z-linear, and Y-rotation.

Rich

Top Bottom