Cross Inlay Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tweetfaip

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweetfaip

I finally got the chance to turn ctEaglesc's blank into a pen. I had a hard time deciding what type of pen to make but settled on the CUSA kit since that seems to be what I use most often and I want to use this. The blank is very nicely done. Thanks to ctEaglesc for making this available.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I'm working on an olivewood cross inlay blank I got from RonMc for a Sierra. Didn't really think about it when I bought the blank; but any way you orient the blank, there is some greater or lesser amount of interference between the inlay and the clip. I'm seeing the same problem(?) on this pen. Can't do anything about it with the Sierra kit; but on this kit. I wonder if it would be better to put the inlay on the lower barrel? Not sure I have a strong opinion one way or the other. Just wondering what others think??

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />I'm working on an olivewood cross inlay blank I got from RonMc for a Sierra. Didn't really think about it when I bought the blank; but any way you orient the blank, there is some greater or lesser amount of interference between the inlay and the clip. I'm seeing the same problem(?) on this pen. Can't do anything about it with the Sierra kit; but on this kit. I wonder if it would be better to put the inlay on the lower barrel? Not sure I have a strong opinion one way or the other. Just wondering what others think??
Not to Hijack tweetfaips post I sent my comments to him via P.M.

Randy,interesting points you bring up..
I gave the placement of the inlay a great deal of thought when I came up with this design.
Ron Mc suggested the inlay could be put on the "pesentation side" withthe clip opposite and and a laser engraving be added such as the recipients name or sentiment.That would be up the the person who purchases the blank.
I position the center of the inlay 1&1/2 inches from the top of a 6 inch blank(when possible).That gives you pencrafter a lot of flexibility as to the appearance of the finished pen with respect to the postion of the clip.
I can accomodate anyones wishes as to where they would lke the inlay placed.
I can put it on the lower section if the purchaser wishes.
Another point to consider is this design is not "kit specific". By that I mean the inlay is a minimum of 1/4 inch deep from the outer surface of a 3/4" blank. Within reason, other than a Panache or a Gent it can fit on just about any kit that is made though I have not tried it on a B2B slimline.(I have come up with a method that that allows you to drill a larger tube hole in the 3/4 inch blank to reduce the possibilty of a "blow out" when drilling for larger pen designs.)If someone wants to put this in a jumbo blank I can do that also depending on the woods selected and availablitiy.I would make the pocket for the inlay deeper.
The proportions of the inlay were designed around standard sized styles of kits used the most.

mick

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
Ron Mc suggested the inlay could be put on the "pesentation side" withthe clip opposite and and a laser engraving be added such as the recipients name or sentiment.That would be up the the person who purchases the blank.
I don't want to be guilty of highjacking the thread either but Eagle I've got a question and possibly a comment on the above statement.

I will say that tweetfaip has done a wonderful job on an very well made and inspiring blank! (I'm jealous Eagle....lol)The blanks Eagle are making are very beautiful with clean simple lines and yet to another woodworker very intricate.

By "presentation side" are you referring to the side of the pen shown when it is being used? IF that's what you're meaning then I've also found out through having various pens engraved that when there's a name being placed on a pen then I've got to determine if the user is left or right handed.(This may not be news to most ...but hey I'm slow) I understand that if it's an object like your crosses that it doesnt change the perspective....most of the time.

When the person using the pen is right handed then the name needs to be oriented from the centerband up with the clip facing up and from the finial down(with the clip facing up)when the user is left handed.

I just thought I'd throw this out here and maybe help other penturners who might be "new" to having pens engraved ...or working on inlays.

Once again Tweetfaip and Eagle, Beautiful pen and inlay!

tweetfaip

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This pen was a lot of fun to make. I took it to church this morning and it got rave reviews.

Randy, I think the problem with "interference" with the clip is more the picture than reality. I positioned the clip 90 degrees from the center of the inlay and that leaves roughly 1/4 inch between the clip and the outer edge of the inlay.

Skye

Nice, if you've still got it, bring it to the Bubbasville meet so we can all get a look at these blanks in person!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom