Cross cutting wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

badwin

I received some Tigerwood flooring samples from my buddy. Was going to cross cut them. I was thinking at 45 degrees. What do you guys do for the angle normally.
Thanks
Brian
http://www3.telus.net/public/goodwinp

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

45 is trickier than 90 on a table saw, but that's what I use. For 45 degrees I make sure the wood is secured to my mitre guage. If the wood is as small as what I am usually cutting,(1 foot) I do not use my miter saw. Is this what you meant?

mrcook4570

Unless you are using it for a glue up, it is not critical that the angle be precise. For angle cuts, I usually just use a bandsaw and eyeball the cut to whatever looks like a good angle.

Joe Melton

You can cut them to any angle you want. There is nothing special about 45 vs. 35 or 57.39 degrees. You will get more waste (lower yield) if you do not cut them straight or 90 degrees, but if you have enough material, that isn't an issue. It is my experience that blanks are easier to turn (less tearout) the further you get away from 90 degrees, but the visual effect of the finished pen is different. You will see more chatoyance at 90 degrees, though the striping effect may be more prominent at 45. Depends on the wood. Experiment and have fun.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom