Cross cut spalted pecan sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from patmurris

patmurris

Hi all! :)

I just received some cross cut spalted pecan blanks from Emerson (McBryde) on the forum. Here is my first pen with this timber - Ten coats CA finish + MM12k + polishing:

Tournage%20Stylos%2051_800.jpg

I spent a lot of CA on this one. The kit is a "Gatsby" from PSI.

Great wood IMO - thanks Emerson. :cool:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

McBryde

Hey Patrick,

thanks for the positive words about the wood. I have to say though, you definately did justice to that piece of wood! The pen looks fabulous! Keep up the good work. This wood is a little more challenging of a wood to work with, but the beauty is definately worth the extra effort put into it.

Great job,

Emerson

corian king

I have also had the pleasure of working with some of Mr.McBrydes spalted pecan and it is some really nice stuff.You really did a nice job on that one.Great Work!!
JIM

LeeR

Nice job, indeed. I've turned two pens using spalted pecan from McBryde, but only the regular cut blanks. The crosscut blanks are in the "try MUCH later" box. :)

Good to know they can be kept in one piece to drill and turn -- with a large enough bottle of CA!

SDB777

WOW!!

Crosscut is a challenge for sure, and a lot of people will have trouble....but you didn't! Nice deep coloring and the finish looks great!

Scott (that's a seller for sure) B

patmurris

Thank you all for the nice comments. This wood is definitely a CA sink but the result is worth it.

The other side is even better:

Tournage%20Stylos%2052_800.jpg

A close up to see the fine grain:

Tournage%20Stylos%2053_800.jpg

MartinPens

Great looking pen. I love working with the spalted wood. Make sure you wear a good mask or respirator when turning spalted wood. The results of breathing that stuff in can be very unpleasant. I've been using the cactus juice stabilizing system for my spalted blanks and it really saves on the CA glue and adds some shimmer to the blank. If you ever want a batch of that wood stabilized, let me know - I would be willing to do some stabilizing for a small fair trade of some sort.

If you want to see what a stabilized spalted piece looks like, I just posted yesterday in the show off section a very spalted piece of Maple. I think i called it Spalted Maple Stabilized Zen.

Thanks for showing off your work!

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

patmurris

Great looking pen.

So this pen inspired me to learn what "spalted" actually means (I know nothing about wood).

For those who are in the same position, here is the Wikipedia entry on spalting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spalting
Thanks a lot for the link, although i sort of knew spalting was related to fungus i had no idea about the three types of spalting, iphae, Trametes versicolor or that there does exist spalting research and researchers! :biggrin:

Top Bottom