CRITIQUE-Redwood burl cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BogBean

Status
Not open for further replies.

BogBean

Hi Everyone,
Here is another chance to see if the "critique" thing will work and I hope to learn something also. Let have it with both barrels...:) Thanks.

2005614192512_cigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Chuck, the fit looks real good and I love redwood burl... If the pic was in better focus I could really say something about the finish, but it looks good fromw hat I can see... I can't really tell if you managed to match the grain, but with redwood burl that can sometimes be a factor

lkorn

What a georgeous piece of wood! I've never turned a cigar so I'm not qualified to critique the pen, which by the way looks very nice. However I would back my camera aff from the subject a little bit to improve overall lighting. The flash is centered at the center band, leaving shadows and uneven lighting. Just back away a little and zoom in closer if you need to. Otherwise Nice work!

I like the pen and the wood looks great. The fit looks spot on and the shape of the barrels is what I like to see.

The photo seems a bit fuzzy and I think the Declaration of Independence is distracting in the background.

Overall - Nice work!

dubdrvrkev

Great looking pen. F&F seems to be in order. My preference is to have some curve in the barrels, but that is just my preference.
It does show my one criticism of Cigar pens though, the twist holder doesn't flow into the lower barrel smoothly. No fault of yours, just the design of that piece. I still like Cigars though. [:D]

JimGo

Chuck, I'm with Kevin and Sam, I like a little more curve to both barrels, but that's personal preference (I did my first couple like yours). Otherwise, the fit looks great, and I'd guess the finish is too, but I can't tell for sure from the pic.

BogBean

Thanks everyone for the help. I will work on having some curve on some of my cigars...I took another photo and not much better....I guess I better drop by the photography forum...:)

2005614231932_take2.jpg
<br />

alamocdc

Chuck, F&Func look fine to me. It may be just me, but it actually looks like the grain by the finial belongs with the grain at the CB of the lower barrel. Unlike some, I like straight cigars (a matter of personal preference). A very slight curve in the barrels is about all I can go for because of their inherent size. The 2nd pic still leaves a little lacking in determining finish, but it looks good to me! Nice job, and nice pen! [^][:D]

dubdrvrkev

Chuck, don't go changing what you like because a few of us said we like some curve on the barrels. As I stated and we all agreed it is only personal preference.
Just the same as when people said they didn't prefer the black chrome kits I used on some pens, that isn't stopping me, I like them and will continue to use them when I think it looks good.
I say keep turning what you like, you are doing great work.

Daniel

Chuck,
Until some really concrete Criterea can be established for penturning. Personal preferences are the best we can do as far as CRITIQUES. having said that. I will ad my comments on this pen.
Definitly a stricking piece of wood. The grain is interupted enough to get away with using it in a twist pen for me. in both photo it also looks to me as if they didn't even come from the same piece of wood and the overall effect is working for me.
the choice in pen finish is not. the satin kit looks like it is taking away from the wood. I thon kgold may have been a better choice. with maybe black of some kind being second by a margin even.
the lower barrel looks very good to me. but the upper barrel looks like it was wide just as it aproches the center band. then the barrel actuall starts to get thiin toward the clip. this is either the photo or the way the barrel is shaped. it does not look intentional.
from the photo the finish looks everything from mildly matte to high gloss. again leaving me the impression that this could be an area to spend a bit more time and detail on. again this could just be the photo.
adn as others mention. A clearer photo woudl help for me to be more sure of my comments.
Overall this is a very good looking pen. I am really nitpicking. of all the Satin finish is the most distracting for me. would love to see this same pen in gold.

atvrules1

Chuck, Initial impression is good. The pen attracts the eye, but as noted in the other posts there are a couple of items that personal preferences would change. If there were criteria for penturning they would include fit and finish. Anything past that goes into art and is completely dependant on personal preference. So here is my two bits. I am more attracted to your straight barrels than the bubble style cigars in past posts, but feel that the tiniest curve to the barrels would enhance the overall flow of the pen. I also tried to imagine your pen with gold parts instead of the black/nickel and I think that you made the correct choice because it allows the wood to stand out more, and believe me, that wood should be allowed to dominate. It is beautiful. To me the wood doesn't look mismatched as much as just the way the burl is. So after my two bits what do I think of this pen overall.....I'd be proud to own it just the way it is. And you should be also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom