Creosote & Beeswing Narra + question!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Here are a couple I made yesterday:

Creosote I just bought from Shadetree. Really nice wood to work with. Polaris BT and finish is CA

Beeswing Narra with chrome Zen. Finish is CA.

Question: On open pore wood like Narra, I did about 20 coats of CA to avoid having a finish full of tiny holes from the wood, but I still had some. So, how can I fix this open pore issue and get a smooth finish? Also, how can I get the polishing compound out of the pores-see photo. I've tried a toothbrush and water but it doesn't do very well; trying to avoid damaging the finish.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Creosote.jpg
    Creosote.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

For porous woods I sand with between 220-400 and then add thin ca to my sand paper. This hardens the dust in the pores. Then sand again through 1500. It will fill in the pores and give you nice smooth finish.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Another method is to over coat the surface with ca and then sand it back down until the wood just starts to show through. Leaving ca in the pores.Then refinish with ca. that will fill your pores.

hewunch

Another method is to over coat the surface with ca and then sand it back down until the wood just starts to show through. Leaving ca in the pores.Then refinish with ca. that will fill your pores.

This is also true. The beauty of my method is, if your face is close enough to the lathe, and the blank is moving fast enough, you get the added benefit of filling the pores on your face at the same time. :tongue::bulgy-eyes:

Brooks803

You're not going to get it out of the current finish. Atleast I've never been able to. Diassemble and sanding off the finish is the only thing I can suggest. Whenver I'm finishing wood I sand with 220 then add a layer of thin CA and resand with the 220 up to 400. That fills in the open pores. Clean the blank with a paper towel with denatured alcohol on it. Then I use mylands cellulose sanding sealer and then begin my CA finish as usual.

low_48

I would try to use mineral spirits and a stiffer nylon brush to remove the polishing compound. There are multiple kinds of sanding sealer. Cheap lacquer sanding sealer has sterates in it the make for easy sanding, but a soft finish. Vinyl sanding sealer is much better, but I don't know about compatibility with CA. For furniture, I use a grain filler to fill the pores. Comes in natural or colored. It works about like grout on a tile job. Rub it in, let it dry, sand off the surface. Nice pens!

Top Bottom