Creating Certificates of Authenticity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

Many of you know I am really into creating pens using historic woods. I investigate the origin of the wood and confirm the authenticity before creating a Certificate of Authenticity.

In one case, it took over a year to collect enough information to verify the wood's origin to issue the certificate.

I know a number of you use a color printer to print your own certificates. However, I use a company called Zazzle (www.zazzle.com). I select "Chubby Business Cards" (3.5" x 2.5") and design and submit the project.

Here is the project I complete yesterday. In this case, I choose an eggshell cardstock. The cost was $15.00 for 100 cards (Note: Sign up for their discounts or Google for "Zazzle discount codes). This card size makes it easier to display the pen if the customer should decide to do so.

I also use them to create stickers that I can incorporate into my pens.

Attachments

• desmoinescardfront.jpg
    desmoinescardfront.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 241
  • desmoinescardback.jpg
    desmoinescardback.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 249

SDB777

I guess the cost would be justified if you had enough to do the entire 100 pieces....what happens when you only need say 3 pieces printed up, do they charge enormous printing costs?
I'm going to guess that you are making pens from say a chunk of wood from the ship, and then the 'printings' go along with the pen to further convey the 'tale-of-the-wood' for generations, correct?

I like that somebody takes the time to get the information correct before just 'whacking out' 500 cards saying this is the real deal....but sometimes I wonder how many pieces of BOW is from Texas with a fancy card saying different?

Scott (unique makes it fun) B

Fireengines

If I only have a few pieces of wood that has been verified, I will use my laser printer (B&W) and print something up on certificate paper you can get from most any major office supply super store.

I've been considering investing in a rubber stamp with some generic verbiage verifying the wood is authentic (any ideas of verbiage and design would be appreciated. I can then press the stamp on a gold inked pad and press it on the paper.

The problem is, I dislike large COAs. You really can't do much with them other than throw them in a file.

One the other hand, the card can easily be displayed with the pen and can be printed on both sides. Granted you can do both with the certificate paper too.

I purchase the cards only when Zazzle has a 50% off sale on business cards. These cards are called "Chubby Business Cards." I always include at least two cards per pen.

Over the past two years, I've only sold three teak wood pens and have not attempted to create a market to sell them. The overwhelming majority of these pens have gone to servicemen who served on the ship and families of those veterans who have passed. I some cases, I've provided the pens, at cost, to friends of Navy activity duty sailors who are about to retire.

I recently presented a pen to a former retired high ranking Marine in honor of a mutual Marine friend who passed away.

Without exception, these pens will be passed down from generation to generation.

In short, since I give most of these pens away, I think paying $15.00 is a small price to pay thanking them for their service.

Top Bottom