Crazy idea, snakewood gurus, advices needed!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey,

I just got a Woodchuck Pen Pro and I wanna make a nice handle.

I have a piece of snakewood perfectly solid, no check of any sort just the right size: 1-1/2x1-1/2x7".

Now from that piece I previously cut pen blanks and the 2 finished pens cracked. Generally I did not have luck with snakewood. Since I don't feel confident anymore in selling snakewood pens, I figured out I could make a really nice handle for the tool I will use the most.

I have gone through the threads in the forum, just wondering what you guys suggest when working with it. I was planning just to sand it, no finish, what you guys think?

Thanks and your feedback is much appreciated,

Charles

Sent from my iTouch.

ctubbs

That is the finish I used on my White Oak handle for my Bowl Pro. It has worked very well, gives me full tactile response so I feel just what the tool is doing and it looks great after 6 months of use. I may eventually apply some BLO to it but probably not if it continues to hold up. I like the feel of smooth finished raw wood. It just seems to blend right into my hands as I work with it. Naturally YMMV
Charles, the other one.

robutacion

Hey,

I just got a Woodchuck Pen Pro and I wanna make a nice handle.

I have a piece of snakewood perfectly solid, no check of any sort just the right size: 1-1/2x1-1/2x7".

Now from that piece I previously cut pen blanks and the 2 finished pens cracked. Generally I did not have luck with snakewood. Since I don't feel confident anymore in selling snakewood pens, I figured out I could make a really nice handle for the tool I will use the most.

I have gone through the threads in the forum, just wondering what you guys suggest when working with it. I was planning just to sand it, no finish, what you guys think?

Thanks and your feedback is much appreciated,

Charles

Sent from my iTouch.

Charles,

Well, I like to have nice looking tool handles, particularly if I'm the one to make them, I use this design and finish (pics attached). I like the "texturing" grip these handles provide, it certainly gives you a firm grip even when your and is a little sweaty ...!

A good (strong) ring and some epoxy to glue the tool to the handle and even snakewood will last...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Square gouge handle 024_(1).jpg
    Square gouge handle 024_(1).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Square gouge handle 023_(1).jpg
    Square gouge handle 023_(1).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 108
  • New tools and handles made 22-15-08 001_(1).jpg
    New tools and handles made 22-15-08 001_(1).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 99
  • New tools and handles made 22-15-08 010_(1).jpg
    New tools and handles made 22-15-08 010_(1).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Franco offer cutters + steel bar 101_(1).jpg
    Franco offer cutters + steel bar 101_(1).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

KenV

The snakewood should work just fine --

But twas me -- I would make bottle stoppers or ornament finials instead of a tools handle with a piece of snakewood. (I am liking interchangable tool handles more and more these days).

Will be a good looking tool handle.

Top Bottom