Craigslist Ryobi Drum Sander Opinions Wanted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Ryobi drum sander

This popped up today, price is reasonable, I like the fact that it comes with extra paper however it doesn't come with a stand although I have a cart or another stand that should work for that.

Does anyone own this one? Reviews seems overall pretty good other than paper changing is a pain. I rarely have a use for one. I did make a drum for my lathe that works pretty well overall but not much capacity and a bit of a pain to setup.

Let me know and thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Looks exactly like a Performax or a jet clone. If you can get to see it run and feel that motor. It should not get hot if no load on it. Make sure the depth wheel works and the conveyor motor works and speed control on it. Also look at the clips that hold the paper to the drum. Make sure they are not broken. Other than that, that is not a bad price and maybe you can get a few dollars more off. The extra paper is a plus.

moke

I have a friend that bought that one used and it has worked well for him. It really does look like a Jet or performax. He has always bought sandpaper refills made for Jet.
I had a Delta drumsander for a week and it was a nightmare....I went and bought the Supermax 19-36 after it.

jttheclockman

I can not tell you about the paper change and in fact I never seen this machine but from what I have seen on the web it looks like a clone. If the paper is held in with the spring clips they are very easy to use. I have the Performax 16/32 and it was one of the first made and I love it. It is a workhorse in my shop. Can not be without one and would buy another. Invaluable piece of equipment if you break down lumber of any sort.

southernclay

It's mine now : ) paper change is a bit of an odd angle but wasn't too bad. Operates smooth and nice guy that I got it from so pretty well happy with it. Thanks again all, JT thanks again for the tips. Was able to leave it on for several minutes without running anything through prior and no change in temps, sounds etc. speed control smooth. Should suit me well.

jttheclockman

Good to hear Warren. As I said I can not do without mine. Just about every project that comes out of my shop has run thru a sander like that. I suggest you buy a spare conveyor belt sandpaper sleeve. They, like every belt sandpaper sleeve has a life expectancy because of the glue joints. I believe that is a sandpaper sleeve on the conveyor from what I am seeing. That and get yourself some of the big sandpaper erasers. Helps prolong the paper if you clean them every so often. keep building dust,the paper loads up and starts to burn.

Good luck. Nice addition.

Top Bottom