Craftsman turning tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwarmbrodt

I have a chance to pick up a set of older Craftsman tools, appear to be USA made. I have a thing for older vintage tools of quality, so are these known to be of decent steel?
Thanks!
Doug

Attachments

• 3Kd3Gc3Jf5La5rf5s4d66a5ca9ec1821f1183.jpg
    3Kd3Gc3Jf5La5rf5s4d66a5ca9ec1821f1183.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I think they are usually marked. They are prob not HSS. It wasn't around too much back in the day I don't think.

It is prob decent steel but will dull quicker.

dwarmbrodt

I got the carbide set from Capt Eddie, and a few gouges from Benjamins Best. I'm OK, but always am keeping an eye out for deals. Just a rainy day here and I'm browsing Craigslist....

Wildman

I had couple red handle skews, roughing gouge, and parting tools, which really liked. Paid about $12 to $14 per tool on sale at Sears. Other than a 5//8" crown bowl gouge only in store purchase of turning tools ever made. With exception of crown bowl gouge those Sears tools were carbon steel. You can find better sets of those Craftsman red handle tools on E-bay.

Would not pay much for those tools you are looking at! Only two tools in that box that would buy is the diamond parting tool and skew chisel. Those scrappers and diamond point tool not worth my time.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I just went out to the shop to look at mine again, they are around 30 years old and they came with the lathe that was sold several years ago. The parting tool is the same part number at the one in the photo and they are carbon steel tools. I have other tools that are HSS and some carbide but for probably 25 years I used the Crapsman tools and made thousands of pens and other stuff with them. I touched the back of one of the tools to the slow speed grinder to confirm the carbon steel and, yup, they are CS. They throw sparks that look like a flame thrower compared to the HSS but, as my dad used to say, "it's a poor craftsman that blames his tools". I would buy them if just for that sweet parting tool; mine's getting pretty short from all the sharpening.
WB

Top Bottom