Cracked CA Finish...HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin M

I have been using the blo/ca finish for a couple of months and really like it, but, I have one pen made from old Osage Orange that has developed a crack all the way around the lower barrel about an inch above the nib. This pen is only 3 days old and has been in my display case. Could the wood be expanding/contracting after cutting or could this be a problem in the finish technique? The crack only appears to be in the ca and not a fracture of the wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Yikes! with soe of the observations I have made with CA. I would think it fairly hard to crack it. of course this is not taking into account the effects of the BLO on the CA. I made a small puddle of ca on a metal surface, misted it with accelerator then scraped it off. although thicker than what would normall be found in a pen finish. this little sheet was extremely tough. would not discolor even when folded in half. couldn't tear it etc. sure you don't have a hair in the finish or anything.

Kevin M

Daniel, I looked at the crack under a magnifing lens to be sure and I can feel the crack with my fingernail. It runs all the way around, but not straight, it does go up and down about 3/8 inch and is jagged.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Kevin M
<br />As an added note, this wood was cut on the end grain, sanded to 12000mm, blo/ca (3)coats, assembled, inspected, put to bed.

Just a guess, but I would have to think the end grain cut has something to do with it.
It's hard to believe a pen sitting for 3 days would just have a crack in the finish.
The older wood should have been pretty stable ,but wood will react funny when subjected to different stresses.
If it was really dry the added oil from the BLO,heat from sanding,any number of possible conditions would add to conditions that caused the crack.
I am going to guess that the wood may have"checked" while turning.
Sanding filled in the grain.
The weak spot(especially since you said it goes all the way around the circumference of the pen) filled with the BLO and after sitting the effects or stress caused the finish to crack.
I would bet if you took it apart and turned off the finish you will find it is not just the CA that is cracked.
Sorry for the bad luck.

Kevin M

Thanks for the ideas Eagle, as time permits I will indeed remove the finish and check the wood for a fracture. When I get it done I will post a reply on a new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom