Couple of pens from today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DestinTurnings

Worked on a couple of pens today. I seriously appologize for the photot quality...my camera completely crapped out on me. I was forced to shoot all these with my phone (HTC Evo).

Hit me up with questions/comments.

Attachments

• IMAG1178b.jpg
    IMAG1178b.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMAG1181.jpg
    IMAG1181.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMAG1182.jpg
    IMAG1182.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMAG1184.jpg
    IMAG1184.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMAG1186.jpg
    IMAG1186.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG1185.jpg
    IMAG1185.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG1187.jpg
    IMAG1187.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMAG1189.jpg
    IMAG1189.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 180
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tkbarron

Nice job all around but I've gotta say those first two are phenomenal!! Really nice color and finish. Great kit selection on both!

Tom

toyotaman

NIce pens. The first one would be my choice too. I guess it took some time to do the segmented work on it. You care to explain the process??

SDB777

Looks like the photo does just fine with the photo's...

I see lots of fine cuts(segments), and some great looking pens!! Well turned on all!!

Scott (phone camera not bad:wink:) B

NIce pens. The first one would be my choice too. I guess it took some time to do the segmented work on it. You care to explain the process??

I just basically laminated a 3/8" strip of Cambodian Burl with aluminum flashing, dyed black veneer, and maple. Glued with CA and clamped a couple minutes until dry.

I took a second piece of the burl and laminated the aluminum and veneer on one side only and then cut it into 5/8" or so squares.

I marked the first laminated blank in the center on all four sides the used my disc sander to put a 45° miter on one side to the center mark. Then I CA glued one of the squares on. Flip it over and then do the corosponding side the same way. Then I cut the glued on square excess off with a bandsaw and smothed it out with the belt sander.

Then do the same on the other two sides. Once I had all four scallops in, I CA glued veneer to all four sides to hold it all together while I drilled the hole.

Sounds more complex than it actually is. I have to make another blank so I'll take pictures of the process and make a PDF tutorial of it all.

If you have a belt/disc combo sander, you can knock out the blank fairly quickly. The sketchy part is turning it...I use a freshly sharpened bowl gouge with a fingernail grind or a 3/4" roughing gouge used like a skew. I stop the cutting regularly to ensure I have nothing about to come apart. I'll also take the time to coat the entire blank with CA. If you hang a piece of that aluminum with a tool, it will instantly ruin your blank.

Attachments

• IMAG1198.jpg
    IMAG1198.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 100
Top Bottom