Couple of Barons from Found Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

I'm still experimenting with old branches and limbs I find laying around... here's a couple of Baron's.

Attachments

• FoundWood-8539.jpg
    FoundWood-8539.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 169
  • FoundWood-8541.jpg
    FoundWood-8541.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 117
  • FoundWood-8543.jpg
    FoundWood-8543.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 113
  • FoundWood-8544.jpg
    FoundWood-8544.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 115

williaty

How long are you letting the branches dry before you turn them? Are you drying them round or cutting them open first?

budnder

Drying time

I picked up both scraps of wood in an area that's thick with trees, and I think in both cases, the branches had been there for months if not years, so wouldn't have been easy to match visually to a tree. The closed end one is a hard wood - I'm guessing Oak, based on the trees in the area. The splotchy one is a soft wood - maybe an ash as there's alot of that around as well.

For found wood, I've been putting it in the oven at 200 degrees for 24 hours. I usually don't do anything to it other than trim it to size on the bandsaw. After it comes out of the oven I'll turn it round and then Cactus Juice stabilize it a time or two with some die. The hardwood one, you can barely see a hint of green from the stabilization. The softwood one soaked in orange CJ, which you can tell, then a second time vacuumed in a bit of green or blue as I recall. The orange seems to have filled up the wood on the first go round, because I see almost none of the green or blue.

My process for found wood takes multiple days and at first I found this frustrating (patience was never a virtue...). But at some point I firgued out I just need to have several pens going at once, all at different stages. So on any given day I've got something to turn, something to assemble, etc. The only downside is I'm having a hard time remembering the details of each piece, where I found it, if I varied the vacuum time on it, etc. I'm trying a diary/log for that, along with lots of photos and we'll see if that helps.

Top Bottom