Couple new things

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

This is my first Sedona. Since its named after a town in Arizona, Desert Ironwood from AZ seemed like the right choice and when I found a little void in the wood, I filled it with Chrysocolla, also from AZ. After all the pens with inlaid crosses, I should have enlarged the void into the shape of a cross. The kit, wood and Chrysocolla all came from AZ Silhouette. The finish is CA. I haven't decided about the kit yet. I like the centerband, but I definitely don't like the once piece finial and clip. I do like the shape of the clip though.

200611142145_DIWSedona.jpg

Next is a casing pen I made for a friend to give to his son for Christmas. I had a bunch of 308 Winchester casings powder coated as a trial by a local company and this is one of them. I think they did a great job. I wouldn't normally use this clip but that what my friend wanted on it. I didn't do a very good job wiping it off before the photo, there aren't actually any white specs on it.

2006111421816_BlackCasing.jpg

Comments welcome, good or bad.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Both look nice, good texture on the antler. First pen, I think I would have filled the void with wood dust, but that's just me.

thetalbott4

I'm diggin that Sedona. It's the first one of that type that I've liked. Good choice of material. I can take or leave the turq filling. I might have went with black, but it does add to the desert feel.

gerryr

Scott, where you been? Traveling around the world? I thought about using black, but the wood is really dark in that area and with all the rest of the AZ influence I decided to use the Chrysocolla. I've never had much luck using wood dust, always looks to light and sort of cheesy when I've tried it.

LanceD

Gerry, I really like the looks of the Sedona and it looks great with the DI but I'm not too sure about the inlay. Maybe if it was a little longer or with a more eratic shape. I agree with you on the clip on the cartridge pen, I wouldn't have used it but you have to go with what the customer wants.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Gerry,

The black PC cartridge is striking. The contrast between antler and black PC jumps out at you.

The Sedona kit is growing on me, but I am still not sure I like the kit. Nice work on it, it is not overcontoured like some I have seen.

Skye

Originally posted by wdcav1952
Nice work on it, it is not overcontoured like some I have seen.

Very good point. Some people have these huge ballooning tops on theirs, it doesn’t look right. The problem is you have to complement the curve of the finial with the body. If there's angle created between the wood and the cap, it doesn’t flow at all.

Charles

Both look Great. I like the choice of black as the powder coating. The Sedona looks very nice, I am still trying to develop a taste for the kit, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom