Could use some help verifying an idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

biednick

Alright, I want to make a completely kitless pen. This is my plan so far. I will cut 1" off of one end. Then take 2-3" of the opposite end for the cap. Step drill the long piece to fit a roller ball refill. Turn to shape, nib ext. in 1 piece. Take the 1" piece cut off and turn a removable end cap to make the refill replaceable. Then turn the remaining piece into a cap. The cap is just going to press fit on, tight enough to stay on but not to tight. Step drilling is no problem for me, and I have a collet chuck to hold the blank. I just want to make sure my plan isn't too fa out before i start.

LEAP

Sounds feasable, a press fit cap might not last too long depending on the material used. How were you intending to attach the piece used to replace the refill?

biednick

Sounds feasable, a press fit cap might not last too long depending on the material used. How were you intending to attach the piece used to replace the refill?

Thats a good point on the cap. I was going to turn a tenon to fit into the main body of the pen. I could put a brass tube in the cap, chamfer the end so it doesn't scratch, that should hold up better. I could also add a Corian piece to the end of the cap for more strength.

Top Bottom