corn cobs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

spalted_1

A couple of weeks ago I tried to stabalize some corn cobs using a vacuum pump and poly.I put them up to dry for 2 wks. and then tried to turn them.They are so soft you cant even sand them.Can anyone tell me the proper way to do this.Really appreciate any help
Thanks Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregD

What did you use to stablalize them??? Did you drill a hole through them before stablaizing???
I use Minwax fast drying poly. I put them in the jar so that the poly covers them. Apply vacumme until the cobs sink to the botom. Allow them to dry for a couple of weeks.

alamocdc

Jim, I haven't tried my cobs yet, but had about the same result when I used poly with spalted Maple and spalted Ash. I've switched to plexiglass dissolved in Acetone (the same solution that Eagle and others use) and this appears like it will work much better. Some use Minwax Wood Hardener and some use Polycryl. It seems to be a matter of experimentation until you find the solution (chemical) that works best for you.

rtjw

I use a high gloss polyurethane, a adhesive and a primer that is all mixed together. It has taken a lot of experimenting to get it right but it works well for me. I have prolly stabilized close to 10,000 corn cobs. they are selling like hotcakes.

hombre4

rtjw..good work and the right price....do you have any of the cobs you would sell? I would like to try and make a couple but no nothing about stabilizing and I don't have anyway to pull a vaccum. What pen kit are you using?

Archie

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by hombre4
<br />rtjw..good work and the right price....do you have any of the cobs you would sell? I would like to try and make a couple but no nothing about stabilizing and I don't have anyway to pull a vaccum. What pen kit are you using?

Archie
I don't mean to cut into RTJW's buisness but if you look at the last articl on the home page there's enough information there to get you started on your first one.
The pride of accomplishment will be over whelming.
If you keep your ools sharp and juicious or liberal use of thin CA you wont have any problems.
I recent passed my first anniversry of my first corn cob pen.
It was done entirely(as best I could from Pat's article)
I did go on to stabilizing my own corn cobs and other turing materials with my own compressor and a $10.00 Venturi pump from HArbor Freight.A few fittings and a couple of valves and a pickle or mason jar.
If the thumb feature worked for me this would be a great place for it here.
http://www.penturners.org/oldalbums/cteaglesc/first corn cob.jpg

spalted_1

Hi Greg
I stabalized with a no name poly and I did drill first.The ones I have done so far have not had any color added and I dont know if the poly was water based or what.Sometimes amazes me what you can learn by reading labels.Thanks so much for all the help I recieved .Jim

GregD

Hi Jim,
I've been thinking about your cob problem. One question comes to mind. Were your cobs fresh or had they been drying for a while? Seeing as how I have a lot of corn farmers around me, I usually get a bag full of cobs that have been drying for a few months to start?
They say you can go to Wal Mart and get cobs that are 6% moisture. They are usually in the pet food section. I'd give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom