Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

seht

I was thinking of buying some Corian for turning. Is there anything special I need to know about working with it. Any glue restrictions for the pen kits.

I'm guessing I should go with the dull tools and heavy cut option, but beyone that any info would be great! :D

Thanks

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Scott,

I've been turning a lot of Corian lately! I guess I'm in a "black pen" phase - I've been doing black Corian with black kits.

Anyway, Corian is pretty well behaved for a plastic. It turns really nice! And it shines up nice with buffing or Micro Mesh. I drill carefully, swab a bit of water into the hole, and glue with Poly glue (Gorilla Glue). I've never had a problem with the tubes being firmly glued this way. I have used epoxy, and that also works well (I just don't care for the smell).

I turn Corian pretty much the same as I turn most other substances. I use a spindle gouge and a skew, and I like them sharp. I can't imagine when a dull tool would be better than a sharp tool!

Good Luck! You'll enjoy using the Corian!

Scott.

LEAP

I just turned my first corian pen three days ago and found it to be alot easier than I had envisioned. I used med ca to glue the tube with no problems. I cut the blanks a little long as I had read that it was prone to blow outs when drilling. The water cooling of the drill I did not try but probably will next time since the bit got HOT. It polished up to a glow with MM. I wet sanded with 600 and 800 grit then went to the MM. I have to admit it was a straight bushing to bushing slimline as I did not want to get to adventurous on my first try. The next attempt will definately have a little shape to it. It was wel received as a present of course family has to say you did a nice job.
Phil

KenV

Corian is also good to use for handles on anything that will be used in the Kitchen and may find it's way into dishwater. Handles for pigtail turners for the grill (CUSA), kitchen tools (CUSA), shaving brush handles are all good uses besides pens.

Also allows a lot of creative juices with segments, heat and twist, or other combinations in pens and pencils.

Treat like any other plastic and wet sand followed by polish.

Malcolm

Instead of buying some - go by a cabinet shop and they just might give you some. Lots of times they have it just sitting around. When they install cabinets they will still have the sink cutouts from the kitchen and bathrooms. All they do with this is put it in the trash most of the time. I know around here you can get it for free. One other thing instead of asking for corian which is a brand name ask for any solid surface material, it might be corian or might be something else that will work just as good. Thanks Malcolm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom