Coral snake skin or blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I have been searching everywhere for either tanned coral snake skins to make my own blanks or for coral snake blanks themselves. Anyone have a clue of where these can be found? :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

Well then! Maybe that's why I can't find them! :tongue:

Thanks Ed.

Russianwolf

or too big. To have the color pattern on the blank the section need to come near the tail so that you get the bands, but then it's too small in diameter at that point to wrap.... SOOOOOO....

They can get up to about 5 foot in length.

Texasbeachbum

I just skinned and started tanning 2 coral skins about 10 minutes ago. I have them in the solution. These were about 2 ft long. Colors are beautiful. I measured and I can get all the colors on a Polaris tube so it should work on a Sierra pen too. I will let you know. This is a first for me. This lady is going to get me some more snakes too. She said she finds them all the time at her place.

Question: when I get ready to pour them do I take the scales off before I pour the Pr?

These are "red on yellow Kill a feller"

workinforwood

Don't broadcast that situation or you or her could get into some big steam pile storm! I'm not totally sure, but I don't think you can just start wacking coral snakes because they are walking on by, just like you can't shoot the geese around here. You need permits or liscences and some critters are not to be touched regardless. The only way then to get the skin would be from a zoo or something like that after natural death occurs.

Texasbeachbum

Don't broadcast that situation or you or her could get into some big steam pile storm! I'm not totally sure, but I don't think you can just start wacking coral snakes because they are walking on by, just like you can't shoot the geese around here. You need permits or liscences and some critters are not to be touched regardless. The only way then to get the skin would be from a zoo or something like that after natural death occurs.
maybe in Michigan but I am in Texas and its him or me. Heck we even have rattlesnake hunts down here.

jskeen

I will concur that in texas the texas coral snake, Micrurus fulvius, is not listed as protected, or endangered. Therefore I feel justified in taking one whenever found on the assumption that he is not going to go to waste. In my yard, where my kids play and are vulnerable, Protected or not, it's a dead snake slithering, it just hasn't realized it yet, (but he's still not going to go to waste) :)

workinforwood

It is always a good idea to check on snakes because many are protected and you can get in big trouble, even when you are just at a show with a snake skin pen. The texas coral snake is not a protected species, I read that, so that is an ok snake to hunt, but I would bet dollars to donuts that you would get fined for killing one without a fishing license on hand. I know Michigan is different, but in many ways we are the same government with the DNR and we have snakes here that you are allowed to kill as many as you like, but you do have to have a fishing license. Sure..what's in your yard, nobody knows, no big deal, I understand that too. Sometimes I am the same way. I just want to be sure it's clear what is right and wrong, not tell you what you can or can't do. This way we all know the possible concequences of our actions, so if we do something wrong we have only ourselves to blame.

Texasbeachbum

This was my first ever snake skin casting. I am learning. Had 2 tubes setting and only one was turnable. The other tube the skin seprated at the seam. The one I turned I let the skin dry on the tube without splitting it. I had one separation on the end of the tube but cut most of it off. I made the tube a little long for this pen kit just in case that happened.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 006a.jpg
    006a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,423

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Looks GREAT!!

No bubbles, kept it's color-no black spots, didn't separate at the ends--WOW, I'm impressed!!! (no, this is NOT a joke, all those things have happened, OFTEN)

Texasbeachbum

Coral snake pen #2 finished. NO BUBBLES at all on this one. Plus I trimmed it some more. This way it don't look so fat. (like me)

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 415
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 418

Dudley Young

Not protected in Florida. Don't get to be 5' long. Killed one 36" one time and that is a really big one. Any state that would protect a snake as deadly as a coral snake would not be on my list of places to live. The only reason you don't hear of very many deaths from coral snakes is they are slow, don't have fangs, don't strike, and have very small mouths. BUT they do have a purdy skin for a pen.

JohnU

I'll AGree they do make beautiful pens but I also agree with jeff. Just because it's wild and not protected doesn't mean it's free for use. I would check with your local dnr to make sure your in legal limits, especially if your going to sell them. I found legal issues with birds when I wanted to use legally harvested feathers. It is illegal unless they came from a domestic raised bird. That means papers, tags or bands. Just be careful.

Rfturner

I like the look of the coral snake skin it has alot of color and it very pretty looking but I agree just check to make sure that no problems may arise, with you being in Texas I do not see an issue, I live in California in one of the most envoirmental counties in the county:frown:, I also pay some of the most for Gas because of this

seamus7227

The second set of pens turned out way better, not as fat. I am curious about the size of the skin, only because i see it looks like you made the seam with the belly scales, not bad, just dont usually see the belly scales. Kind of an indication of either a smaller snake or maybe you were trying to optimize the amount of blanks you get from one snake

Texasbeachbum

The second set of pens turned out way better, not as fat. I am curious about the size of the skin, only because i see it looks like you made the seam with the belly scales, not bad, just dont usually see the belly scales. Kind of an indication of either a smaller snake or maybe you were trying to optimize the amount of blanks you get from one snake
There is no seam. I tanned the skin without cutting it. It dried on the tube and shrunk enough that it just fit. I had just enough room to take the skin off the tube and glue it. By the way CA glue will set up as soon as it hits the skin. I wonder if it is the tanning stuff that causes that. I used epoxy on these and it worked real good. I am going to disassemble the first pen and re-turn it down to the same size as the second one. I sure hope I can get a couple more of these skins. I have a small copperhead and a diamond backed water snake tanning now.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It is always a good idea to check on snakes because many are protected and you can get in big trouble, even when you are just at a show with a snake skin pen. The texas coral snake is not a protected species, I read that, so that is an ok snake to hunt, but I would bet dollars to donuts that you would get fined for killing one without a fishing license on hand. I know Michigan is different, but in many ways we are the same government with the DNR and we have snakes here that you are allowed to kill as many as you like, but you do have to have a fishing license. Sure..what's in your yard, nobody knows, no big deal, I understand that too. Sometimes I am the same way. I just want to be sure it's clear what is right and wrong, not tell you what you can or can't do. This way we all know the possible concequences of our actions, so if we do something wrong we have only ourselves to blame.

In Texas you must have a HUNTING license to legally kill a snake according to my brother-in-law who is a Texas State Game Warden. Once you kill it, you can do what you want with it. This of course assumes it is not a protected species. Here is a list of protected reptiles and amphibians direct for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/endang/animals/reptiles_amphibians/

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
How about road kill? How would one be able to use the run over snake? Or should they be left to rot????

Not sure on that one, Lupe. I would guess it would technically be treated like deer maybe? It is very much illegal to even cut the antlers off a road killed deer. Game Wardens have been known to stake out good bucks that have been hit and write tickets to the folks that stop to cut off the horns. Not sure a snake would be in the same category, though, since it is not a game animal. Who knows?

seamus7227

As long as you contact the game warden and he gives you permission, its all good, at least up here in wichita county it is. Cut away, cut away:party:

Texasbeachbum

Had a friend call me and wants a pen made from a timber rattler that he had run over. I just got off the phone with TPWD. They say there is no way I can make that pen or even have that snake in my possession. It is on the threatened list and now is on the endangered list. Its a big fine to even have one dead or alive in your possession.

Top Bottom