Copper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

The brass discussion reminded me of something I been intending to try. I was thinking of copper between segments, maybe a celtic knot with copper, etc. I have some copper pipe that seems way too hard, so I was going to try slitting open a copper gas line tube and spreading it flat.

Is there anything I need to know before I start working on copper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

I know that copper roof flashing is pretty hard. I ended up making a key chain and scroll sawing it between two pieces of thin plywood.

Copper tubing has hardness grades and the flexible does have to hold up to the weather. May be too hard...

You might try a crafts place or model railroad supply for some soft copper.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Chasper

The brass discussion reminded me of something I been intending to try. I was thinking of copper between segments, maybe a celtic knot with copper, etc. I have some copper pipe that seems way too hard, so I was going to try slitting open a copper gas line tube and spreading it flat.

Is there anything I need to know before I start working on copper?

Remove the gas first!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You can get copper (or brass, or aluminum) sheet at Hobby Lobby in various thicknesses. Not expensive - give that a shot.:D

sparhawk

I have used copper tubing(3/8) on inserts between segments before. Cut it about 1 inch long then hacksaw it down one side and split it open, then spread it open till its flat and flatten it the rest of the way with a hammer. Have to be careful drilling thou because the drill bit wants to grab the copper when it passes through and will seperate the segment. If it does you can reglue and start again.

Fred

Try heating the copper tubing with a torch until the tubing glows a nice even red color. Then let it cool slowly. The metal will then be a lot softer and much easier to work with. The metal may turn darker but this discoloration will disappear when you polish the pen. :D

Chasper

Thanks all, especially Ed (I probably would have blown up the house or at least the water heater would have quit working if you hadn't thrown in that helpful hint, I owe you and I'll <s>get even</s> return the kindness someday).

Top Bottom