Copper Plating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I am looking for some copper pen kits. My question is I hear all the time about the coating not holding up. Has anyone found any kits that has reliable copper plating on them??? If so what is the kit and where can it be bought??? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
John,
I THINK we are all hypothesizing. The copper kits have only been around a year or so (to my ever-decreasing recollection), and the scuttlebutt started immediately. So, is there any evidence EITHER way?? People who made the kits and they have lasted OR kits that have tarnished or the plating wore off??

What is the experience???

workinforwood

I don't use the copper kits because of the "rumor" I suppose. I made a few a couple years ago, but wouldn't know what they look like now. I do like copper though, and there's nothing like the real thing! That's why they make metal lathes. I also know that there is an advantage of the copper plate over actual copper. The copper plate does not tarnish over time. Real copper requires the occasional cleaning to rejuvenate it's luster.

KenV

John --

I have had some copper clad parts in use for a couple of years. While the copper plating would not last but a few days, the copper fittings I have been using are covered with a clear coating (think upgrade gold) and the clear coating seems pretty durable.

I find them holding up as well as upgrade gold and similar coatings. Not as good at the titanium coatings, but better than the uncoated. (my reference is a black ti cigar that I have carried for 4-5 years now -- minor surface scratches in the ti plating but the black enamel has worn down to the brass in several edges.)

The other good thing about the clear coating -- they do not tarnish.

Another comparison will be clear coated shell casings and the durability from tarnishing that those provide in "citritge pens".

Most of what I have used is Berea imports from Az Sil and Beartooth Woods.

Gary Max

Even the folks here in Ky have seen it around for years----tossed mine in the trash a long time ago. Maybe they have something better out now???????

Russianwolf

you are going to run into similar issues as you would with gold on this. They are both softer metals so a plating with them will wear fairly quickly without the clear enamel thats been mentioned (I think its enamel).

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have used the copper kits from a couple of places and will not use them again, a couple started to oxidize within a month. They weren't that great looking that I was going to deal with that problem.

stolicky

I made two cigar pens using copper plating and they did not hold up well at all.

Scratches all over. And that was just from being in a pen portfolio.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Copper Kits

I've sold a couple of thousand copper slimlines and have had no complaints about them vis-a-vis wear and/or tarnish, I think most of the rumor is just bulls___, silver which also will tarnish, is also a soft metal has been around for years and I've never had any complaints about that either. I have two year old pens with the finish on the copper parts as bright as when it came out of the package. And, I suspect you should be able to find copper with the clear epoxy coating that will last a long long time.

Best Regards

fernhills

I have copper kits, like them. I never had any complaints either. Carried a copper cigar around for a real long time, put a new refill in and sold it. Carl

jttheclockman

That is basically what I am going to do. I will test drive a few pens for awhile before I commit to selling them. I have more demo pens than I could ever imagine to use. But I would hate to have them come back from customers because of plating issues. I would have thought by now that issue would have been addressed by these companies.

KenV

The thread has two experiences -- plating without the clear (epoxy) coating and plating with the clear coating.

One is very short lived and the other is pretty good. Cheap cheap is probably without the coating. You pay more for the epoxy clear coating.

Top Bottom