Copper Jr Retro with Scallops. 1st Try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

Well, I was asking about how to do scallops yesterday and received a link on how to do it. It looked easy enough so this morning and most of the day I have been doing this pen.
It is a copper Jr Retro with a scallops at the top and bottom in Maple burl along with the bands and the main body is Honduran Rosewood Burl. The Final is Cocobolo. There are 3 copper electrical wire inserts in the main body. The finish is around 10 coats of CA sanded through all the pretty colored pads. I guess it should be pretty easy but for the first scallop pen I have done, the scallops did not come out equal I am pretty sure it is because the blanks was not square. I do not think they look bad that way (uneven) , just not all equal as they should be.
Overall I am very happy with my first scallop pen.
Let me know what ya`ll think bad or good or in between. Thanks for lookin.

Attachments

• IMG_5288.jpg
    IMG_5288.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_5287.jpg
    IMG_5287.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_5289.jpg
    IMG_5289.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_5286.jpg
    IMG_5286.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5290.jpg
    IMG_5290.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well I think you done a great job. And to do the scallops on the closed end is pretty neat ( and rare ) too. :wink:
That's a helluva finish too btw !!!
Well done!!

jttheclockman

That really did turn out very well all around. Would you mind sharing the link to how to do scallop work. I woould be interested. Thanks

http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/segpenblank.pdf for the segmenting and the copper wire is simply drilling the correct size hole for common house electrical wire. Strip the plastic off and tap it into the holes you drill. If the wire bends take it out and try again.
If you look in the library at the top of the page, there are a lot of tutorials on how to do different things with pens.

broitblat

I think it looks great.

My one thought would be to try a thin constrasting strip (veneer, aluminum, etc.) under the scallops to show off your work more.

-Barry

wizard

Brian, That's a Beautiful Pen!! If this is what you can do for your first scalloped pen I am really forward to seeing the next one!! Regards, Doc

wiset1

Always amazing to see your work. It truly inspires us to bump up our game and try new things!

Top Bottom