Copper Creation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Finished it this morning. Made out of a copper rod and a piece of Eugene's (ElMostro) Lava Lamp collection. Thought I would post it before heading to work. Hope you all have a good day. Thanks for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Copper Creation_1.jpg
    Copper Creation_1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 315
  • Copper Creation_2.jpg
    Copper Creation_2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 408
  • Copper Creation_3.jpg
    Copper Creation_3.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Copper Creation_4.jpg
    Copper Creation_4.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Copper Creation_5.jpg
    Copper Creation_5.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 293
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Doc, as always your work continues to amaze and inspire us to be better and better, thank you for sharing.

BSea

That is just a fantastic pen. I've been wanting to try turning some copper. I guess I'll have to order some & give this a try. Any tips on how you did the clip?

wyone

I think it is AWESOME.. but then again I am an electrician in my paying job. :) Where did you find the copper rod? I want to make something out of copper sections for my Dad, my mentor for Christmas and having issues finding much in the way of copper

bluwolf

You're on a roll with the metal pens Doc! Nice color combo, I wouldn't have thought about it, but it works great. Was the copper gummy to turn?

Mike

Ironwood

Absolutely beautiful.
I really like the contrast between the copper and the resin blank.
Did you make the clip out of copper, or use the one from out of a copper cigar kit ?

wizard

Thank you all for the kind comments and encouragement! Doc:)

That is just a fantastic pen. I've been wanting to try turning some copper. I guess I'll have to order some & give this a try. Any tips on how you did the clip?
Bob, the clip is from a satin cigar kit

:good: Good looking pen. :good:

On my computer the pen looks like it has a clear coat of some kind on the copper. Did you put one on to keep it from tarnishing or greening the users finger?

Pete

Pete, I use 3 coats of VHT metal lacquer from Caswell Plating. Very durable.

You're on a roll with the metal pens Doc! Nice color combo, I wouldn't have thought about it, but it works great. Was the copper gummy to turn?

Mike

Yep!...Gummy...gummed out the flutes on the drill....had to uncurl them from the bit...

Absolutely beautiful.
I really like the contrast between the copper and the resin blank.
Did you make the clip out of copper, or use the one from out of a copper cigar kit ?

Clip from a satin copper cigar kit

What do you use to keep the copper from tarnishing?

Leslie, I etched the copper and immediately follow that with 3 coats of VHT metal lacquer from Caswell Plating. Very durable finish. No tarnish

OZturner

I think it is AWESOME.. but then again I am an electrician in my paying job. :) Where did you find the copper rod? I want to make something out of copper sections for my Dad, my mentor for Christmas and having issues finding much in the way of copper

Mitch, not wanting to hijack, Doc's thread.
I believe that in the States, you can purchase Copper Lightning Earth rods, similar to what we use in Australia, to earth the wiring for our houses.
The regulations were changes some years ago from earthing on a water supply line to having to have a seperate copper rod driven into the ground and to have the earth connections attached to it.
From Memory, it is probably a little excessive in diameter to be used for pens, But worthy of an enquiry, for what it's worth.
Regards
Brian.

OZturner

Outstanding Pen, Doc
Fantastic Copper Blank, and Superb Blank from Eugene.
Great Line, Proportions and Profile.
Excellent Fit and Finish, your attention to treatment of the Metal, is Terrific.
An Awesome Pen.
Brian.

wizard

Brian,

I am actually an electrician, and use ground rods on a regular basis. They are only copper clad with a steel core though. :)

Mitch,
I'm so sorry... I just noticed you asked for this... This is where I get my copper rod from. I included the order page as well as the guide to selecting from different types of copper rod/alloy.
Regards,
Doc:)

Order Copper 101 Round in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

Guide to Buying Copper Online | Online Metals Guide to Selecting Metals for Your Project

Top Bottom