Contest - Can anyone tell me what this wood is?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

Hi Guys & Gals,

Can anyone please tell me what this wood is???

Note, there is no tube in this blank, it was simply drilled 1/4 and steel washers added to each end to enable use of my mandrel. It is not sanded properly:mad: has 4 coats of Med. CA, sanded to 1500, then another 4 coats of Med. CA and sanded to 2400, then buffed with Tripoli and white diamond. (the scratches are prior to polish.)

The winner will receive 3 full size blanks, posted to anywhere in the world.

Please note, this wood is very variable in colour and texture so the blanks may not be exactly the same as this one.

Let the fun begin.

Bob.:)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 175
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

Thought I might give you a clue.

It is NOT "Hills Weeping Fig"
It is NOT " Ficus Erectus".

I have been commissioned to make a pen and this is one of the timbers I am considering.

Bob.

MikeinSC

I know this one. It's called "about to be awesome"tree. I'll wait for you to PM me for my address.

Bob Wemm

I have to offer my sincere apologies to you all, I have just got home from an unexpected meeting and we have a winner.

The first reply was correct, it is indeed the Australian "Blackboy", or more politically correct Grass Tree. "Xanthorrhoea pressie".
Congratulations to Peter Hay.

Thanks for you participation.

Bob.

robutacion

Heck, and here I am thinking that my games don't last long...!:eek::redface:

I was just going to say that, I have no clue even though it looks familiar with something I saw, I'm not sure if was wood or some sort a sea creature, the colour and texture is all I can remember of this "thing"

Oh well, doesn't matter, you got your winner, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

It's like the BASH Wood id contest. I only had one "First guess" winner out of 28.
I was sure that this one would have lasted a bit longer.
The grain pattern is so unusual, that's why I thought about the contest. Oh Well, I hope your games go better George.
Bob.

robutacion

It's like the BASH Wood id contest. I only had one "First guess" winner out of 28.
I was sure that this one would have lasted a bit longer.
The grain pattern is so unusual, that's why I thought about the contest. Oh Well, I hope your games go better George.
Bob.

Hahahhah sure Bob, I have had a few where I was totally wrong about how long I though they would last, and sometimes I see that the correct answer has been given but, I let it go for a little longer, I get a buzz with some of the answers I got, some members here have a "strange" imagination, and some times right on funny and everything in between, they all part of the "game", we learn, we listen, we laugh and we cry, some times of laughter and those are the moments that make it all worth while...!

And BTW, someone get a freebie, what wrong with that...?>??:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom