Considering getting out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Just haven't been enjoying any of it much lately and may just close up shop. I'll be keeping my tools as I always seem to need one for something. May have some other stuff to get rid of.

Maybe my depression is just getting the better of me, who knows.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bowl Slinger

I can sympathize with you on this Mike. I tool at times have been burned out and needed to take a break. But then a month or 2 later I am itching to get back into the shop for a new project. Take care of yourself!

76winger

I think it can run in spells for some of us. Lots of things in life seem to distract us from what we want to do, and sometimes it dishes us out something new and more exciting to discover. Do what you feel is right for you, but don't rush to unload any equipment until you have time to really discover what you do and don't want to do.

I've had interests that passed, never to return again, and others that have become revived after better than two decades (but I don't advise hold onto tools that long to find out). Just be happy in what you do, life is too short to be doing something you don't like for any length of time. Best Wishes in whatever you do!

tim self

The only lasting hobby I've had is woodworking. Penturning has been the majority of it for 4 yrs. I too have hit a lull from time to time but the itch returns. Just hang in for a bit. Easier to hold on to everything than restocking.

Jim Burr

Banned
Good advise here Mike! I'd guess that all creative thinkers go through lows and highs...not to many middles. Like most, I burn out on turning. Come back to it in a month and I'm revved up and ready to turn something. The holidays and winter can cause blahhhs too!

Ligget

I agree, take a break away from penturning for a little while, hopefully you`ll feel better soon an be glad to get back into the shop being productive again!

Take care, we are all here for you buddy!

cozee

I got burnt out a few years back and just walked away for awhile. Gettin' the itch again and glad I down sized instead of selling everything. I agree with just taking a break!!!!!!

Mike D

Mike I agree with the others, take a break. I too go for spells without turning a pen and make other things like cutting boards, scrollsaw boxes, small toys. After awhile I come back to the lathe, usually after seeing a new pen here on IAP and I regain my inspiration to try new techniques and ideas.

btboone

Take a break from it for a while. Maybe try some new techniques on different products with different sets of tools. You once again get the creative juices flowing and that can come full circle. Whatever it is, you need to love exploring it. I'm playing with my new laser, trying techniques and designs that are way out there. This after a long dry spell not being able to come up with anything new. I'm now having a ball and can't seem to try enough crazy stuff fast enough. The designs need to be audacious enough to stretch you and keep your interest while allowing you to think outside the box that has kept you grounded. I decided today to work on a ring that will have a working music box that's no bigger than a normal ring. I have no idea if I can make it work, but it will be cool to try. If it succeeds, it will spur me on to yet crazier stuff.

When the normal stuff seems like a chore, it's time to make some changes.

stonepecker

If your depression is getting to you, maybe it is time to get to a doctor.

A break would be the best advice I would give you. Or maybe time to look at making something so totally different, it gives you a new challenge.

Of course, a vacation with the family is always a good thing.

Whatever you decide, I can see by the posting you have made, that you would be missed if you leave. Your knowledge is an asset to the membership.

Best wishes in whatever you decide, W

KBs Pensnmore

Mike,
I, and quite a few others out there, suffer from depression, so you are not alone, we all have our good and bad times. For me, some last for a few hours, sometimes for days. I find it easier to try something different, ie. take up a new hobby, help out volunteering, something new, just to break the monotony of daily life.
I know it is not easy, lubricate the lathe,keep your tools, you will be back at it soon.
The important thing is to talk to people, sometimes, I can't talk to my partner, but just talking to a stranger is enough to get me out of it.
We are all here for you, wishing you well,and a speedy return, as some one earlier said, you WILL be missed.
Kryn

Jgrden

Your work, your conversations with us have been really above board, interesting and informative. Your work is excellent. Do not go away.

This depression issue is with allot of we seniors. I do not know if you are a senior citizen or not. It seems that with age everything hurts. kids don't need you anymore, not as handsome as you use to be when you were a high school stud and life treats you like Chit. Buddy, you are not alone. Seek help. If it is just a little pill, take it. Enjoy life. Realize that you are a human being who has paid the price for your country and are entitled to laugh, love and live on.

Jgrden

You are making a cry, a plead for help. Do not give up. Take strength from inside. Do not let this defeat you.
If ever there was a time to show power of prayer for a fellow IAP turner, now is the time. Depression hurts and is serious.

Russianwolf

Thanks guys. I've dealt with depression for over twenty years. Sometimes its harder than others.

The big thing for me right now is Im not enjoying what I'm doing and I don't have what I need to take the next step. It may be a while before I can get what I need. Ill still becaround just not doing much of anything.

Jgrden

There are projects that I want to try but because of lack of the right equipment or, most likely, lack of funds just sit on the side. I usually find a way to come close. It is a challenge.Sometimes the "come close" project looks like crap and other times the inspiration creates a whole new product. Only YOU know that it is a derivative of another idea.

I cannot tell you how many times I, when working alone, will drop what ever is in my hands, cradle my head in my hands and just sigh. Close my eyes, rest, reflect and jump start my body into motion.

Top Bottom