Conductor's baton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pshrynk

pshrynk

I've been thinking about making a conductor's baton for my granddaughters' band instructor, since he does such a great job with them. The usual size is about 14 inches, with the handle being about 2 1/2 in. My thoughts are to use alternate ivory and actual ebony. The wand itself needs to start out about 3/8 in and taper to about 3/16 in. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts, hints, suggestions on how this would work? Maybe use a BOW spindle blank, instead, since it would be easier to cut down to smaller dimensions to get started? How about handling the small end and leaving a cut off, etc. I have a feeling there's going to be a long and flat learning curve on this one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

Could you use a small metal end cap that is threaded? Then drill out the centers off all the pieces, feed a piece of all thread through the center then use a bottom cap to tighten it and give it rigidity.

Charlie_W

One thought is to purchase an inexpensive baton and replace the wooden grip with a custom one you turn.....reuse the existing baton wand.
Perhaps you could get the band instructor's name laser etched on it.

I would also suggest turning a baton from some straight grained maple or birch to get your technique before using the BOW.
Good luck!

bmachin

There are a couple of ideas in this thread on the AAW Forum. Don't let the title of the thread put you off.

Bill

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I too like the idea of just turning the handle on a purchased one which I have done. Some conductors can be pretty rough on them. Fiber glass or carbon fiber can take much more abuse than wood when banged on a music stand to get attention.

Robert Taylor

Two of my Grandchildren are music teachers. Been toying with the idea for a couple of years now. I had pretty much settled on turning a nice handle and using a fiberglass "driveway" marker for the wand, now I;m thinking again. (very dangerous) process.

penicillin

Batons can be very personal. The specifics vary with an individual conductor's preferences. Conducting batons should be very very light and well balanced, to reduce strain and the risk of repetitive injury, as well as giving the best control for rehearsals and performance. The shape of the bulb is also important, and it depends on how the conductor likes to grip the baton. Before you start making a baton for a conductor, get to know what they prefer in terms of bulb shape and length.

Visibility is another issue. Batons are usually painted white so that the performers can see it easily.

My baton is a cheap commercial baton. It has a slender, tapered, 3 inch cork bulb and a 13 inch tapered wood stem, painted white. The baton weighs 9 grams (0.3 ounces). I practiced with it but chose not to use it. The few times I conducted, I used my hands alone.

I would be concerned about your choices of wood for weight and visibility reasons. I would use a low density wood for the long stem - it will be painted white anyway.

Batons are delicate and easily broken. If you are making a fine baton for a conductor, you may want to make a protective case for it.

MTViper

I've made 3 batons. I used holly for the baton itself and different wood on each baton for the handle. I used a 12"x1"x1" holly blank and half a pen blank for the handle. I turned a 1" tenon on the holly and drilled a hole on the handle to match it. Glued them together then let it dry overnight. The next day I turned them as one piece. The holly was nice and light weight. Attached picture with ruler shows dimensions.

Attachments

• Baton (2).jpg
    Baton (2).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 149

donstephan

Turn a taper to match the morse taper of your lathe drive spindle and tap it in, then minimal pressure needed at tailstock. I have to hold skew chisel with my right hand, use left thumb to press skew onto tool rest and push skew forward, with my left fingers curled around the blank to steady it. But I've only turned magic wands, and a baton likely would need to be thinner.

Charlie_W

Another approach is to go ahead and turn a totally wooden baton which would be decorative in that it is for display and not every day use..... or could be for a special concert.
A desk stand or wall bracket could accompany the baton. An inscription could easily be added to the stand.

Let us know which route you take and post pics!

The baton wand could be bleached if you don't care to paint it white or use holly.

Top Bottom