Computer sound question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

A friend of mine has a winXP system that keep muting the wave volume on it's own. It will stay on for a few seconds then goes back to zero. It is an unusual situation that does not react to all the usual fixes. Such as reinstalling the drivers, checking for programs that may mute it, even tried it in safe mode. I went back to the old wired mouse and tried the old keyboard, no help. I even went and got a sound card and installed it after disabling the onboard sound. It did the same thing. I could not find anything in the registry that was problematic and ran malware and virus scans a plenty and nothing seemed to fix it.
What I am wondering is, maybe someone had a weird situation like this that was resolved that I may try.
TIA
Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Check the connections. Could be a cold solder thing or a loose connection and when gets heated it opens the circuit. Also try turning the sound up on the speaker and then see if you can control it using the keyboard.

NittanyLion

First, make sure your mute button on your keyboard isn't sticking. Now make sure you do not have a third party screensaver. Many of these are set to run "muted" and will change your master volume every time you enter screensaver mode.

If this isn't it, I would suspect malware of some sort.

Dale Allen

Did not have any earbuds or ear phones but it would not be that as the added sound card did the same thing. I thought about a mute keyboard setting and that is why I went back to the old keyboard. Neither had such a device on the keyboard.
Also could not be a solder joint as the added sound card did the same and the sound is fine for a few seconds and then always returns the slider to zero. It is a software thing I'm sure.
May be a hidden program setting or a virus messed with the registry...but where?

sbwertz

You are not alone. Do a google search on

sound keeps muting itself

and you will find MANY people with the same problem. If you read through some of the posts, you may find something that works for you.

Top Bottom