Computer Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Did this one yesterday and it is one of the new kits from Bearea. Have to say it is a clean and fully loaded components board and the seam is undetectable. It is very well done. The acrylic has a different smell I am not used to but did turn easily and sands and polishes real well. Thanks for looking.

IMGP0299-3.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

Very nice work, specialy since I have not seen many of this kind. But do people actually buy this kind of pens, or is this more for your pleasure ?

jttheclockman

Very nice work, specialy since I have not seen many of this kind. But do people actually buy this kind of pens, or is this more for your pleasure ?

George, I have not tested the market around me yet being this is the first one I made. I am sure it will be well received because it is the computer age.

I do have some of Bruces blanks as well and need to get those done. He offers some cool colors.

keithkarl2007

is there something about turning in the ends on these blanks, so as not to hit components under the resin. cool looking blanks love to try one

bitshird

Nice looking pen, glad you've started posting pictures of some of your pen work, wouldn't you like to have been making those pens before the IT crash, but I think there are still a few IT managers and workers still employed.

jttheclockman

Nice looking pen, glad you've started posting pictures of some of your pen work, wouldn't you like to have been making those pens before the IT crash, but I think there are still a few IT managers and workers still employed.

I wonder if Bill Gates has one. Does anyone have his number????

Ken, my pens are far from photo quality. I see the fine work that is displayed here. I just liked this kit and it came out reasonably well.

Keith, this blank was put on a Sierra Vista which is slightly larger than a Sierra and it was the kit I got with the blank. From what I see the components are really small and there was no problem with this kit. I think if you look Bruce did a few of these and put them on various kits and he had no problems but I did noticed he angled his cut at the nib and cap when using the Sierras.

jttheclockman

I do think you run the risk of exposing the components when using a standard Sierra. There are parts on the board that have some depth and are close to the end of the blank so I would not chance it. If you do what Bruce did you would be fine. The difference in the 2 pens is not really that much and if you take the hump out of it the Sierra Vista is the perfect kit for it. Just my opinion.

OldWrangler

I finished 2 of these last week and put them out for sale with my best retailers at $80 each. I will let you know how they sell in about 2 weeks. My dealers really liked them and felt they wood do good. We'll see how that goes.

The kits were only $19 and included everything. They were fast to turn with only the one piece. They polished up wonderfully being acrylic. With my retailers I get 60% so that would be $48. That is a good return on a pen for me so I'm happy when they sell one.

Druid

Here's my experience & hope yours is as good if not better:
Made & sold the first 10 of these within three days at $70/ea. Its a week later and I have a significant back order list (all from referral) and & waiting on a new shipment to arrive. I work for the Govt and the folks in IT eat this pen up, especially the younger crowd.

The downside to this blank is it is mass produced and therefore the circuit board pattern is identical for every blank.

Joe L

I bought the bushings that came with kit (50A)... and I believe the bushing size compensates for the computer components. I turned 4, thus far. I turn to the bushings with no problem. Finish with MM (1200). Course, I still consider myself a beginner<grin>
Joe L

Rudy Vey

Rudy Vey

I do think you run the risk of exposing the components when using a standard Sierra. There are parts on the board that have some depth and are close to the end of the blank so I would not chance it. If you do what Bruce did you would be fine. The difference in the 2 pens is not really that much and if you take the hump out of it the Sierra Vista is the perfect kit for it. Just my opinion.

I turned two of Bruce's blanks for Sierra click using the standard bushings and they are not turned fat: no exposure of any of the small elements of the board. Maybe I was lucky with them. The Berea pen looks great, too - turned my first this week. The pricing of the blank including the kit is very good and I should sell hopefully a few this year.

jttheclockman

I bought the bushings that came with kit (50A)... and I believe the bushing size compensates for the computer components. I turned 4, thus far. I turn to the bushings with no problem. Finish with MM (1200). Course, I still consider myself a beginner<grin>
Joe L

Joe those are the bushings for the Sierra Vista kit. The 20A is the Sierra.

I have some clicks on order so will probably give that a try. I have yet to do a click so will learn there too. I keep reading something about cutting something off to allow for the spring or cutting the tube shorter. so you do not have to use a certain piece. Will have to see what that is all about and do a search as to what everyone is talking about.

These pens maybe generic but they are well done I have to give that to them. Bruce always talked about how hard of a job it is to do and yes his looks great too but i think I will buy his for the colors and get the gree in this model. I do have to do the ones I got from him too. I need my kits from the group buy but I understand the backorder thing so no problem.

gwilki

John: The Sierra click kit comes with a small extension that you need to stick into the end of a Parker style refill to make the pen work. The kit can also use a Uniball refill, which doesn't use the extension. If you want to make the pen to use only a Parker style refill, cut the tube to 1.88". You can then use a Parker style refill without the extension.

jttheclockman

Grant

Thank you. That is what I wanted to know.I thought I read something about that and could not remember what iot was. Will have to see the kits when I get them.

bruce119

Looks great just to add I have a review I did in the classifieds. This is a great kit and can be used in ALL of the Sierras. The click also with a slight modification. Take a look at my web site to see how.

Top Bottom