Computer keyboard worn out!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I have had my laptop for about 5-6 years and some of the letters are worn off! I have tried individual letters from a label maker but they don't last; peel off after a few days and there's glue residue to battle. Any suggestions short of a new laptop? FYI, it's a Dell.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

Do you really need the labels? One of my kids has a computer keyboard with no labels at all, just identical looking black keys.

No disrespect intended, but taking the time to learn touch-typing (typing without looking) might be the best long term solution. It is easy to learn if you give it a little time and patience. It can make a huge improvement in your life, every time you interact with computers. I found these in a quick web search:

https://www.typingclub.com
https://www.typingstudy.com
If you don't like them, this one looks different:
https://www.keybr.com

Back in the dark days of my high school typing classes, very few of our typewriters had letters on the keys... you learned to type by touch. surprisingly if you've been typing by using the 4 finger approach on the keyboard, you probably already have the basics of touch typing.

DrD

Here all along I thought things like a keyboard were made for our convenience. My keyboard darned well better have the appropriate symbols; I'm 75, taught graduate and undergraduate computer science at 2 different universities, and got along just fine using - and still use - "hunt and peck." Haven't got the inclination, desire nor the time to learn touch typing. Just my 2 cents.

ebill

- if you want to keep your laptop, replacement keyboards are available from Dell for < 50$ and other sources (knock-offs) for much less.

- I have replaced several ThinkPad and HP laptop keyboards and its pretty easy plug in stuff as long as you have some tiny phillips or torx screwdrivers depending on what your particular laptop requires. Lots of how-to videos out there:

- ebill

jttheclockman

This is funny because I am in the same boat. No I am a one finger pecker and too old to learn new tricks. May have to look into this. Thanks.

Was #2 in typing class in HS. Spend a lot of time on the keyboard over the years. I'll just live with the anonymous keys.
I had typing in high school and almost failed because I could only type about 45-50 words per minute pretty accurately too... we were graded on the curve and we had girls in the class that could do over 100 wpm... lots of errors though. After I joined the navy I was assigned to be a radio operator, although I actually did more teletype in the beginning... working those old model 19 teletype machines with their spring loaded keys, you really had to bang on the keys to get through the spring tops... I still beat a keyboard to death when I type, almost 60 years later.

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
This is funny because I am in the same boat. No I am a one finger pecker and too old to learn new tricks. May have to look into this. Thanks.
Geez I am twice as fast as you, a two finger typer .
zzzz3.gif

At work, in a hospital, they have keyboard like these waterproof back lite, the one that have been dumped still have all there letters intact.
Pity they are so bloody expensive.

duncsuss

I issue all new employees a laptop and one of these Staples-brand wireless keyboard/mouse sets - $25. They are completely adequate, and cheap enough that when one breaks we simply replace them. Zero effort.

Top Bottom