Computer Gone South

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If I wanted to mess with it I'd fix it myself but I don't like tearing into computers anymore - particularly because I don't have the tools handy to do testing to find the problem and there is no handy source for getting replacement parts that I'm familiar with. I'd wind up ordering the supply on line and having to wait a week for it.

Adillo303

Understood. I do it for a living. Lots of posts in NYC.

If you ever need to know, unplug the power connector from the motherboard, unplug all the drives power.

In the main connector sort the green wire to the blank on either side, plug it in. If it comes up (per supply) the supply is good. If it doesn't, it isn't.

Anyway, I hope yours gets fixed and you don't lose any data.

YOU DO HAVE BACKUPS, RIGHT

Adillo303

Great.

Just remember a couple things.

Consider the age of your pc. Particularly the hard drive. The average useful life of a hard drive is five years. Just don't want you to get caught short.

And, of course backups.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Great.

Just remember a couple things.

Consider the age of your pc. Particularly the hard drive. The average useful life of a hard drive is five years. Just don't want you to get caught short.

And, of course backups.
I am thinking on a new computer....but have been holding off a little....I might get a new hard drive on this one but it's a pain in the neck to have to reload some of the programs which are pretty old but still do exactly what I want....

Adillo303

Hardware if pretty inexpensive now. If you are running XP, get off it. The hackers are all saving their best hacks for after microsoft drops support, could cost you a bunch. If you are running win 7 or 8, a new hard drive might be enough.

randyrls

I am thinking on a new computer....but have been holding off a little....I might get a new hard drive on this one but it's a pain in the neck to have to reload some of the programs which are pretty old but still do exactly what I want....

LeRoy; If you get a new hard drive for your PC, it is possible to do a "disk clone" and copy everything on the old drive to the new drive. Assuming it is the same kind of drive and roughly the same size, you should not even have to re-install Windows or any of your programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom