Computer cameras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Does anyone use one of those computer cameras and why??? What is a good one or what is some of the things to look for??? What would be a deterent to own one.??? I was in Best Buy today and looking at them and saw price ranges from $29 to $140 That is a big range when they all seem to look alike.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

John,
I have one, but don't use it.:tongue:

You can use it to video conference on most of the IM programs (MSN, AIM, YAHOO) and also programs like Skype.

You can take pictures with it. You can record video directly to your computer with it. If you get a reaaaalllllllyyyyyyyyy long USB extension cord you could even take it out to the garage/shop/basement (if you don't have a laptop) and record videos for Youtube, etc.

There's a bunch of uses for it, but make sure you have the processor power for it, and if you are going to use video, a large hard drive. 1TB drives are cheap nowadays, and you can get an array from Startech or other manufactures to put 2 to 4 of them together to make a 2, 3 or 4 terabyte hard drive.:eek:

Does anyone use one of those computer cameras and why??? What is a good one or what is some of the things to look for??? What would be a deterent to own one.??? I was in Best Buy today and looking at them and saw price ranges from $29 to $140 That is a big range when they all seem to look alike.

Last edited:

Parson

You can do an interpretive dance depicting the wrong uses of CA glue in the shop and record it to share on youtube with a link here so we can all enjoy it as well.

Seriously, the more expensive ones have a better resolution and may be bundled with better software. If you're serious about buying one, do a google search on the make and model with the word "reviews" after it and see what folks say. If they don't like it, they'll surely say which one they like better. Amazon.com also has good reviews on most everything, including webcams.

I use mine all the time. I do interviews with people and every Thursday morning, I do a video chat thing with a buddy in Alabama using tokbox.com. We discuss our goals for the week and pray with one another.

If you have grandkids living a ways off, their parents surely have one and then it's loads of fun to get on tokbox.com with them and laugh and giggle with pictures.

Last edited:

dow

You can do an interpretive dance depicting the wrong uses of CA glue in the shop and record it to share on youtube with a link here so we can all enjoy it as well.

HAAA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

You just reminded me of a girl I knew in college. She was really nice, but sometimes just didn't "Get it." Well anyway, she started going to the Methodist church I was attending after the folks at First Baptist had an adverse reaction to an interpretive dance that she did during the 11:00 service one Sunday morning.

I haven't thought about her or the incident in years. Now I'm going to laugh for the rest of the day. Thanks, Parson!

Mark

I have one built into my laptop. The kids & I use it to talk to my father, over skype. He is in Florida. I've recorded video with it to send to my in-laws. Taken stills for avatars and such. It has it's uses.

jnelson

I use one with a USB extension cable, a long dowel rod, a flashlight, and a laptop as an in-well inspection camera.

That is not what I bought it for, but I needed it, and had the rest of the equipment so I Mcguyvered it to work.

woodman928

I have one of the Logitech communicator (I think that right) it's a 5000. I got it at Wally-world for $45.00 and love it I use it almost everyday and have for over a year now with no problems. I tried a Microsoft one, it just would not work and I have heard others have a lot of problem with that product too.

I use mine with Skype to talk to my friends in the UK and in CA and relatives in KS.

Dont know how I ever got along without it.

Jay

Top Bottom