Computer Board Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Say, I found some computer blanks at Arizona for $24.00 a pair. Man this is a little high for my pocket book.
I looked for another source: Penn State, CSCA, Wood N Whimsys to no avail. Can someone lead me in the right direction for a cheaper blank. I do not necessarily need both top and bottom. I'd rather have just the top portion to a Cigar Style.
Thank you in advance for any consideration.
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

:bulgy-eyes:Woodcraft prices the pair at $23.39. I remember buying them for around $4.50 each blank, 3/4 X 3/4 X 5. Maybe it is the meds.

Lenny

Does anyone make these or is the process beyond the home caster?

While I don't want to stir up old threads that got a little HOT, I would suggest you try searching for some of the old threads back when Bruce119 was first making his computer circuit board blanks. There was some very good information. I always think of Bruce when I see a CCB pen and btw, they are one of my best sellers.

Jgrden

While I don't want to stir up old threads that got a little HOT, I would suggest you try searching for some of the old threads back when Bruce119 was first making his computer circuit board blanks. There was some very good information. I always think of Bruce when I see a CCB pen and btw, they are one of my best sellers.
Thank you Lenny.
John

KenV

John -- as I remember, a fellow in south Texas started making them for his own use, sanding circuit boards until they were thin enough to flex around the tubes and casting them. There is a lot of bad stuff that got into the air with the process and respirators were on the necessary list.

Bruce was the first to offer them for sale commercially and did a nice job.

As happens with something that has a good demand, they became made in large lots and some have been marketed that were circuit board labels on tubes and cast.

At the price point you cite -- I suspect you were getting labels that looked like circuit boards.

Jgrden

John -- as I remember, a fellow in south Texas started making them for his own use, sanding circuit boards until they were thin enough to flex around the tubes and casting them. There is a lot of bad stuff that got into the air with the process and respirators were on the necessary list.

As happens with something that has a good demand, they became made in large lots and some have been marketed that were circuit board labels on tubes and cast.

At the price point you cite -- I suspect you were getting labels that looked like circuit boards.
Aha !!!! I do not want labels, as you might guess, so it looks like I bite the bullet for the real thing. Thank you, Lenny, and everyone else for their input. This was necessary for me.
John Grden:bye:

Woodlvr

I just found this post. I answered your post in the classifieds. Was not sure what kits that you wanted the blanks for.

sbell111

Aha !!!! I do not want labels, as you might guess, so it looks like I bite the bullet for the real thing. Thank you, Lenny, and everyone else for their input. This was necessary for me.
The mere fact that the price is significantly lower than that charged by others does not mean that they are cast labels. Different providers (producers, wholesalers, and retailers) have different economies of scale. While I could not product that item for less than $20 a blank, I have no doubt that some factory in Asia can make them all day long for just a few bucks, shipped.

If anyone suspects that the blanks WnW are cast labels, why don't you just ask them? It's not as if Tim and Tracey are difficult to get ahold of.

sbell111

A quick glance at this month's WnW newsletter uncovered two related bits of information.

First, the current price for these blanks are 'introductory prices'. This suggests that the prices will soon go up. This should strangely make some more comfortable about buying these.

Second, while Tim did not specifically state that the encased material is a circuit board, he did have this to say:
"When turning a blank with raised material on the tube, such as the Electro-Geek blank, be sure not to turn the blank too thin. Doing so will expose the encased item or material and will ruin your blank."
To me this suggests that it is true circuit board-like material, not a label.

It should be noted that it is my understanding that the only blanks that have ever been marketed that had actual circuit boards were Bruce's blanks. All others had material that was made to look like an actual circuit board, but did not require the sanding and bending that Bruce took on. This is why most of the other circuit board blanks all look exactly alike.

Jgrden

Can't get a price. When I try to open a mail address it just comes up blank.

Jgrden

The mere fact that the price is significantly lower than that charged by others does not mean that they are cast labels. Different providers (producers, wholesalers, and retailers) have different economies of scale. While I could not product that item for less than $20 a blank, I have no doubt that some factory in Asia can make them all day long for just a few bucks, shipped.

If anyone suspects that the blanks WnW are cast labels, why don't you just ask them? It's not as if Tim and Tracey are difficult to get ahold of.
Asia, how dare you suggest.........Tim and Tracey are hard to get a hold of.

PenMan1

John:
Earnie at Bear Tooth Woods had the Black Titianium component set and the circuit board blank. The last time I bought them, they were on sale for $15. I think his regular price for the blank and the hardware is $20.

KenV

Steve -- the WnW reference and the Tim and Tracie reference have no meaning to me. Since I do not know of which you speak, I really doubt I was making any reference to them in specific.

There have been several sources offering the circuit board blanks over the past few years.

Ernie at Beartooth Woods is a Berea reseller -- and they have been clear in claiming that there is something circuit board in those blanks. My understanding is they are a thin board that was not intended to have any function. Latest price I saw in the website was $18 - on sale.

sbell111

Steve -- the WnW reference and the Tim and Tracie reference have no meaning to me. Since I do not know of which you speak, I really doubt I was making any reference to them in specific.
Tim and Tracey own and run Wood-n-Whimsies. My experience is that they are quick to reply to emails. I referenced them because it was their price that was mentioned and then it was suggested that at that price it was probably labels, which is apparently not the case.

KenV

Thanks Steve -- have done business there, but did not recognize the contraction nor the names. Acronyms have that convience and challenge.

My reference was to John's price in message 5 --- That is a much much lower price point than Wood N Whimsies has listed - about 1/3rd.

Jgrden

MY APOLOGIES. WoodnWhimeys have alway been there when I have needed them. They are EASY to communicate with. Darned, I wish I hadn't said that. :at-wits-end:

Timbo

After communicating with Bruce and finding out that he does not supply them at this time, I placed an order with Bear Tooth Woods. They are excellent quality. Yes...they all look the same, but I haven't had a customer buy two yet. The components are real, even if the actual board they're installed on was never meant to do anything. I purchased other kits as well, so my combined quantity discount price was $15 each for the sierra kits.

Jgrden

After communicating with Bruce and finding out that he does not supply them at this time, I placed an order with Bear Tooth Woods. They are excellent quality. Yes...they all look the same, but I haven't had a customer buy two yet. The components are real, even if the actual board they're installed on was never meant to do anything. I purchased other kits as well, so my combined quantity discount price was $15 each for the sierra kits.

Bear Tooth Woods it is then. That price is the best so far. Thank you for sharing.
I have always thought green was the board color but now I see them in white and red. I have never seen a white or red computer board.

Top Bottom