Composition Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 08K.80

08K.80

I have been working on this since I finished the socket wrench pen...about a week.

After learning how to sort of make threads, I thought I would try a new challenge.
I have seen the amazing work that is shown on here and now I have a new perspective about some of those pieces.

I decided to try making a fully custom made pen without the use of anything purchased other than the ink refill.

The body and cap are made from acrylic/resin and have no tubes. They were drilled and threaded to accept the other parts.
The finials and nib are made from aluminum. The nib is one solid piece that was drilled and threaded both for the cap to screw on and it to screw into the body piece. The nib was quite difficult to make.
The clip too is made from aluminum.

This is my..... Composition Pen.

Comp3_zps9ec6f5f3.jpg

Comp2_zpsbcb74bd0.jpg

Comp1_zpsfc2401ef.jpg

...and a close up of the clip....

Comp4_zps44f2bb78.jpg

I would like to thank those here again, for the inspiration. Without you, I would never had tried anything like this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

This pen is VERY TROUBLING! Why, you ask? Simple. The goal posts have been moved back yet again.

There... with that out of the way, I want to acknowledge how great this one looks, and how fine is the execution. I thought the clip was going to look too wide, but the whole design works well. It is just very nice work.
Steve Guzy

turncrazy43

Really a great looking pen, love your originality. You keep pushing the envelope with your work. Look forward to seeing your next pen.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Absolutely beautifully made !!! I'm always wary of un-reinforced cap threads and prefer a support ring, but it's stunning nonetheless. Very well done ( again !! ) :biggrin:

08K.80

First, thank you for all of the kind comments.
Without all of you, this wouldn't be possible... at least not for me.:redface:

Very nice pen. I like all aspects of it. Thanks for sharing it with us. I would like to know more about the clip if you are willing to share. If not, I totally understand.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don, I'm not sure what you would like to know, but it is a piece of flat aluminum that took several hours to finish. I was hoping it would turn out better.

Wow. Amazing pen. The finish on everything and proportions are all wonderful!

Did you change your mind on selling your lathe? :)

Dan, no I'm still selling it, but it's funny you asked. It's our anniversary this weekend and my wonderful LOML is getting me the bench lathe from Harbor Freight. It's inexpensive (and we have a 25% coupon), and it's small enough to fit in the corner of his office. I will have access to it anytime.

Absolutely beautifully made !!! I'm always wary of un-reinforced cap threads and prefer a support ring, but it's stunning nonetheless. Very well done ( again !! ) :biggrin:

Steven, I too was apprehensive about not having any support, but I've seen them on here and figured it should work. After I got it to shape, I squeezed it between my fingers, with more pressure than I think it would ever be put under. It is much stronger than I would have imagined.:wink:

hard hat

the idea to have stepped threads for the nib section to fit into the body and the cap to thread onto that is really neat. how has it worked out as far as the nib section possibly coming unthreaded from the body when removing the cap?
if you were going to do this again, what would you do differently?

fantastic work and I hope to see more pens from you in the future

08K.80

the idea to have stepped threads for the nib section to fit into the body and the cap to thread onto that is really neat. how has it worked out as far as the nib section possibly coming unthreaded from the body when removing the cap?
if you were going to do this again, what would you do differently?

fantastic work and I hope to see more pens from you in the future

I have used it several times and the nib doesn't budge when taking the cap off. There are always things you would do differently or change, but I want to concentrate on making threads. I feel there are too many on the nib and it takes too many turns to seat the cap.

Top Bottom