Compatiable drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Dangit, I ordered a couple cigar pen kits from AZ and forgot to add the 10mm bit. Problem is it's an oddball fractional size. a 3/8" is close (.375 / vs .394) that is out, but the next common size is 7/16" (.438) Is this way too big even for gorilla glue?? I don't have a 25/64" or 13/32" which are closer, but if I have to buy a bit I will probably try to find a small set of metric brad points.

I was looking at this set, and one have them??
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php/cPath/269_273_292/products_id/1367

436-7000%20lg.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OSCAR15

Lee...I don't have that particular set, but it is probably of good quality. Metric drill bits (as you probably know) aren't easy to find. I ran into a similar problem looking for an 11mm. Lowes, home despot and ace all looked at me like i was nuts when i asked.
Give it a shot. Price looks reasonable enough.

Rifleman1776

Oddball drill sizes in pens? [:0] Never heerd such a thang. [;)]
Check most suppliers for sets of bits that should meet this and most future needs. CS has a set that works out to about $1.00 per bit. Harbor Frieght has a set that is slightly less money. Use the size designated to avoid problems.

DCWoodworks

Some people think the 10mm bits dont drill a large enough hole for the cigar kits. I personally use a letter X drill bit. It is a few thousandths bigger than a 25/64 (I think it is around .005 or .006), and it works wonderfully. I have not had any problems with the tube not bonding to the blank. If you have a fastenal, MSC, or Strongtool near you, you can pick them up fairly reasonable.

Randy_

Originally posted by DCWoodworks
<br />Some people think the 10mm bits dont drill a large enough hole for the cigar kits. I personally use a letter X drill bit. It is a few thousandths bigger than a 25/64 (I think it is around .005 or .006), and it works wonderfully.....

I just researched this question for a guy on Yahoo although he had the opposite problem and claimed a 10 mm bit made a hole that was too big. Anyway, CSUSA recommends a 25/64" drill bit for their cigar kits. That is 0.3906". A 10 mm bit is 0.3937" which is 0.0031" larger than the CSUSA recommendation. The "X" bit is 0.3970" which is 6-1/2 thousandths larger than the CSUSA recommendation.

Both Berea and PSI recommend 10 mm bits. Maybe the CSUSA tubes are smaller than the others? If so, the "X" bit might be a little loose for the CSUSA kits???

jcollazo

I've been using drill bits from Victor Machinary Exchange (VME). I actually purchase them through Amazon. They seem to have every size, coating, import, US made, and exotic drill bit available. Here's a link to the main Amazon page for these bits.

http://tinyurl.com/hvegc

The bits I get are usually the lower cost import, jobber length bits. Here's the pricing from my last order and I did order 3 of each.

J HSS Production Bit $1.20
V HSS Production Bit $2.12
O HSS Production Bit $1.41
7mm HSS Production Bit $1.13
11/32" HSS Production Bit $1.50
10mm HSS Production Bit $2.84
25/64" HSS Production Bit $1.96

When it's time to sharpen, they just go on the Drill Dr.

Joe

Pipes

Look like decent quality at a good price I just don't care for brad points just a personal thing !! BB's drills from AZ are the best bits I ever ever used IMO I will be replacing when I have to adding when I need one with his ! [:)]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom