COMMUNICATING WITH PENN STATE INDUSTRIES

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

calabrese55

Just a suggestion here,
I have bought 99% of the pens I have from Penn State. Overall pretty happy with the products. One suggestion however is If you need to contact them about a product issue don't use the CONTACT US link from the web site.
I have used this twice and it just seems to go unnoticed. Recent experience was a message sent on Sunday afternoon was still unanswered on
following Wednesday.
I called on Wednesday and spoke to a lady who checked for my email . It took her some time to scroll through emails but eventually found my message. It appears, and I stress it appears, this avenue of contact is not checked on a regular basis
I was switched then to the tech department. The phone rang and rang finally Tony answered I mention this as a salute to Tony.
It was pretty clear he was pretty busy at that particular time. You get this thought when it seems a person picks up a ringing phone on a dead run and short on breath. It only took a couple minutes and the parts in question were processed and I expect will be at my door soon.
So after all that best to call Penn State if you need something. They listen and act but don't seem to pay much attention to the CONTACT US connection from the web site.
Thanks Tony @ Penn State great customer service.
calabrese55

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Tony is a great guy. I've talked with him many times. He seems to be the go to person at PSI.
He's got answers or can find them quickly.

I've always have had good luck with PSI. As a matter of interest, I bought PSI pen kits from another reseller a few times. I had issues with the plating on some kits. The reseller never, after many attempts to contact, got back with me. I contacted PSI with the problem and they took care it...no questions asked they just wanted to see the original reseller invoice. With the exception of bottle stoppers PSI gets 100% of my business.

BCnabe

Same experience - sent emails and no response.

This is what their website says under the email contact info: "We are able to reply to most emails by the next business day."

calabrese55

Same experience - sent emails and no response.

This is what their website says under the email contact info: "We are able to reply to most emails by the next business day."
Unfortunately not true unless they mean the next business day after the previous business day when they didn't respond to the email :D:eek:šŸ˜

calabrese55

I AM DEEPLY DISAPPOINTED ...............................................

From my previous post above I got a couple bad pen front end assemblies on two horse pen kits from Penn State.
The balance of the kits are great especially on the pen caps that are excellent, pristine condition.
this is the kit detail https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKHORSEGD.html
I have received orders for these two pens and have collected pre-payment of $65.00 ea. My customers are members of a large horse community and this is my very first order with them.
I know the old saying...if you don't have pictures it ain't true !!!!! The two videos attached are the original parts, the pictures are the replacement parts.

The replacer front end assembly are not much better than the original parts same poor quality casting. This is deeply disappointing. I was asked to send pictures of the defective parts and I also sent the videos displaying the initial quality issue. My expectation was that the replacer parts would be carefully inspected and while they are SLIGHTLY better than the originals they still do not represent quality especially when viewed against the pen cap quality.
I may be too new to pen making and may not understand this is the way things go with pen kits of this detail. I can't however in good conscience pass these pens off as quality to my customers especially new customers. Yes I could go back to Penn State and try again however I would expect that if there were any good parts they would have sent me those given the initial quality situation.
I spent some time selling these two pens and have turned two very nice olive wood barrels to complete the kits but I am embarrassed to charge for this quality .
I am going to send the finished pens to my customers, they have been waiting on them naturally and i am also going to refund 100% .
If you are selling this kit inspect it carefully and actually Penn State should suspend selling the kit until they can get this straightened out.
calabrese55

Attachments

• PENN STATE NO 1.AVI
    17.1 MB · Views: 50
  • PENN STATE NO 2.AVI
    10.1 MB · Views: 56
  • HORSE PEN REPLACER 2- (1).jpg
    HORSE PEN REPLACER 2- (1).jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 55
  • HORSE PEN REPLACER 2- (4).jpg
    HORSE PEN REPLACER 2- (4).jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 63

craig

I had a lever action pen someone gave me that was hit or miss. Called pen state and they sent new assembly free even though I did not purchase. Gave the pen back to previous owner. Great service

sorcerertd

not much better than the original parts
I have had this same experience. With me, it has been the epoxy coating on the parts. It doesn't seem uncommon for them to have what looks like crusty pieces of epoxy in the finish while it's being applied. At least they are willing to send new parts without hassle, but I wish they would check the replacements first. FWIW, calling them has worked for me, but their "tech support" closes at 4 ET.

calabrese55

I have had this same experience. With me, it has been the epoxy coating on the parts. It doesn't seem uncommon for them to have what looks like crusty pieces of epoxy in the finish while it's being applied. At least they are willing to send new parts without hassle, but I wish they would check the replacements first. FWIW, calling them has worked for me, but their "tech support" closes at 4 ET.
I am really disappointed you would have thought the replacer parts would have been looked over to avoid duplicating the the same poor quality. They are maybe, maybe slightly better but I can't sell these when the parts look like the originals. This suggests the lot they have is all poor quality on this kit. I have bought several hundred dollars of pens from Penn State just in the last eight 8 months.........Really unhappy with the whole deal. The service is great like everyone says but why does someone not look at the parts on a defect claim when you send out replacers ?????????????????????????????????????:mad:
calabrese55

calabrese55

I am really disappointed you would have thought the replacer parts would have been looked over to avoid duplicating the the same poor quality. They are maybe, maybe slightly better but I can't sell these when the parts look like the originals. This suggests the lot they have is all poor quality on this kit. I have bought several hundred dollars of pens from Penn State just in the last eight 8 months.........Really unhappy with the whole deal. The service is great like everyone says but why does someone not look at the parts on a defect claim when you send out replacers ?????????????????????????????????????:mad:
calabrese55
An update about PENN STATE horse pen issue
I sent an email to Tony this weekend. First thing this morning I had a reply, I assume from Tony, ( no signature) . Looks like they investigated their stock for the horse pen. From the information provided they have identified the condition and are acting to correct it.
Refund for two pens is in the works............ I am happy.

I am going to finish the pens and send them to my customers along with a full refund of their money.

This is one of those situations that tests the guarantee a company publishes.
Penn State's reads
Warranty Policy on PSI Woodworking Products
Penn State Industries warrants PSI Woodworking Products against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 2 years from the date of purchase.

In this case they backed it 100%........everybody wins, thanks Penn State looking forward to selling more of your horse pens soon.
calabrese55

Top Bottom